Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
How long should it take?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should it take?

Bulltear forum member Cook

How long should it take?

Sort of venting and looking for advice.

So my AMC 360 has been at the local 4x4 shop since last October, 9 months. I took in a Waggy 360 for a rebuild, some performance stuff, and a swap of my 258 in my CJ7. It was supposed to be a winter project, last winter. I've been calling every two to three weeks since last October for updates and what is going on. They've been dancing around the subject since and last time finally admitted that the engine had only been disassembled. The only money I've forked out so far is for the pistons, and engine too of course. I've never had an engine rebuilt, but honestly, how long can it take?! I've asked them to finish the machine shop work and basically get me a finished short block back. I'm thinking about doing the rest as I have time and will probably be a heck of a lot faster than they've been going. Does this sound like the right thing to do? I thought seriously about getting the engine as is, but I don't want a crate of parts. Some would probably be missing too.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    WAAAAAY too long!

When I did the 390 in my AMX, I took it to a popular and busy shop (Denver area), and they had the machine work done in 3 weeks. That included bore, cut the crank, resize rods and install ARP bolts, hang pistons on rods, balance, head work (positive seals, new guides, 3 angle valve job, and port/polish, assembly).

I did the final engine assembly myself.

The shop I used made a detailed inventory of the parts I dropped off, and checked again as parts were loaded into my truck, then make me sign off that everything was returned.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

It wouldn't be so bad if my 258 was running good but about a month ago it took a crap. I knew it was coming and that's the reason for going ahead with the 360. I guess I've been too patient with these guys. They have a good rep in town and I've sent them a lot of business but this is rediculous. Should I try to get it back as-is or wait for a finished short block? Also, I've been asking them from day one how much this is going to run (the rebuild), they have given me no answer yet. I'm very tired of asking them the same questions and really starting to worry about the answers I'm going to get.

Been there 9 months? Well look at it from a positive viewpoint...you're halfway there!

Just kidding. Sure seems like it took 18 months for ours though. Sounds all too familiar, calling them every week, and knowing they were lying because some "progress" updates actually reported LESS progress than previous ones. Good luck. Keep hounding them. The squeaky wheel.... In the end it will hopefully have been worth waiting for.

Well that makes me feel better and worse. 18 months holy crap?! Glad to hear it worked out in the end. These guys do a good job and have a good reputation but I'd at least like some progress on the thing. They said it would go quickly after the pistons came in four months ago... I guess their definition of quick is different than mine. I'll keep calling..

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    I'd say their actions prove their interest level is very low.
    You work probably keeps getting pushed aside for more familiar, easier, more profitable, work that they get and can turn around quickly. What you have given them takes considerable effort, time, and exspense on their part to complete up front. I'd say you've given them more than enough time and basically have no results, not even any paperwork or estimate. I'd write something up explaining dates, what they have of yours, and show up prepared to get it all back in what ever condition it is in, bring alone a friend to help with heavy lifting and to act as a witness. Include making a check list and a clause about their responsibility for any items later found to be missing. Ounce you handed it over to them responsibility for keeping track of all your parts became theirs. Show up un-announced with your papers, a friend, a truck, prepared to load it all up to take home, and maybe a checkbook, and ask them for what you owe for what they've done with a written invoice. Try asking them to wait 9 months or more for you pay them and see how they like that. Would definitely pull the work out of there and start somewhere else. To me about 3 months is the most time it should take. If they know what they're doing with AMC and WANT to do the work it should have been completed a LONG time ago. Obviously they have not being doing anything for anyone else all that time. (sarcasm) Your stuff keeps getting pushed aside for easier more profitable work. That should tell you all you need to know. my 2 cents worth. Sorry to hear that so much of your time has been lost and they have your stuff held hostage. Would you treat a customer looking to spend thousands of dollars that way ?
    '69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg

I believe it is coming down to that. You've definately thought it all out much better than I have and I'll probably do just that. I have gotten the feeling that it's not on their priority list, which pisses me off because I've sent them a lot of business. I think I'll call them now and see what today's excuse is.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with them and maybe my bitching and venting to you guys paid off somehow. They said it's been cleaned, bored, etc. but they still have more to do.... however, they will have me a cost to finish the short block as well as a complete installed cost on Monday. Progress at last! This time it didn't sound like BS either. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    So when/if it gets finished try asking them to wait as long for you to pay them for it as they took to get it done for you. Glad to hear that at least they claim to be making progress, but I wouldn't hold my breath based on the track record so far. Sounds like a surprise visit sometime later this week if time and distance allows may be a good idea to check-up on what they said today on the phone, which maybe should have recorded on a cassette tape to be played back to them next Monday if needs be. Stories of this type are less than rare. Have pulled engine jobs from at least two shops after getting the same b.s. for about 6 weeks and the block had not even been hot tanked yet. Call me impatient, but not paying hard earned cash to be strung along. If a shop is not interested in doing it they should say so, but some folks just seem to have a real hard time saying "no". I look for a shop that says "know".
    '69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg

Behind every machine shop there is a glacier...yelling hurry up, get out of my way!

Like has been said, don't get your hopes up based on what they told you. I had a shop tell me one week that everything was done except for the final honing. Then when I called back the following week, they apparently forgot what they told me the week before, and said it was torn down and waiting to be tanked. To be a good liar you have to have a good memory, ha, ha.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Should be in and out under a month. Every thing from dipping, boreing (CYL & line), cranks turned and polished, heads milled etc. in 27 days - and that was TWO engines!!!
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE