Thread: m20 rear setup questions

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

m20 rear setup questions

I am finally setting up my m20 on my 76 cj5 I have gear lash set at between 006 and 007 this still seems like a lot ? as I turn the pinion there is a lot of noise if I dont keep constant pressure while turning pinion with ratchet is this normal? I dont have any oil on gears yet , I checked contact pattern which was tricky no pattern at first until I put wrench on ring gear bolt while turning pinion to apply resistance and pattern actually looks pretty good load and coast for first attempt set up using stock thickness shims

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    .006-.007" lash is about right.

I've found on Model 20 axles you need to be EXACT on the drive side pattern, not just "looks good". If you're off, they WILL be noisy. Did you use new bearings? You may have damaged one during the R&R process. That could cause noise too.

I put Yukon 3.73 gears in my AMX. First set of gears that ever stumped me (and I've done 35-40 sets). I had a friend who owns an axle shop come over, and to get the drive side right, we had to compromise on the coast side. I have a slight whine on decel since it's not perfect.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

m20

I used new bearings the noise that I speak of is a clangy noise when pinion is turned by hand same noise when your checking backlash I am guessing this is normal with dry gears does any body suggest going tighter on backlash thanks