Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CJ 5 V8 conversion question

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

CJ 5 V8 conversion question

hello everbody,, First off I am new to the site and this is my first post.. What I am working on is a 74 CJ 5 for my step dad. It has the stock 6 cylinder and a three speed.. Well he blew up the motor so he want me to convert it over to a V 8. The question I have is which is the best and easiest coversion to put a V8 into the CJ.. Here are the options I already have without buying a motor or tranny.. What I already have is a 350 chevy with a th 350 tranny.. I plan on using the stock transfer case.. The other option I can go with is a 360 out of an 82 wagoneer.. That will come with what i was told a 727 torqflite tranny.. I can get the 360 727 by trading the chevy stuff. I just want to know whats might be involved with both swaps before i commit. Any ideas? I am open to all opinions.. thanks Marty

Go with amc's v8 easy swap. You should watch your rear d-shaft lenght its going to be really short with the auto tranny back there.

you will need a passenger side engine mount for the swap if you can get a cj 304 mount its the same

good luck

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    If i use the 360 amc motor will it bolt up to the 3 speed bell housing? If It would I might just leave the stick in the jeep.. Any idea? Marty

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by mpzmotorsports
    If i use the 360 amc motor will it bolt up to the 3 speed bell housing? If It would I might just leave the stick in the jeep.. Any idea? Marty
    It'll fit just fine. But you will need the P-side motor mount, and make sure you have a clean 3-row radiator.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

It sounds like the 360 swap is going to be alot easier, and probably cheaper... I am assuming I will also need to get a flywheel for the 360... Also who makes headers for the 360 into the jeep? If anyone knows of anything else i will need for sure let me know.. Also is there a place to get the motor mount new.. Thanks Marty

The 360 will bolt up to your T14 3 speed, but it wont last long if you have a heavy foot. The V8 CJs came with the T15 3 speed, which is alot stronger. Some people have good luck with the T14 and a V8, just don't be to hard on it. There are alot of T15s out there and they are cheap. I would find one to put in while the drivetrain is already apart

Go with the Edelbrock shorty headers.

Well I don't know for sure if i am going to change the transmission or not.. The jeep isn't for me, my step dad is one of those guys that doesn't like to spend the money to do things right,, so I guess if he blows up his stock transmission then he will have to get a different one.. But we will see.. If it was up to me i would rather have a 4 speed over a 3 speed.. What model of 4 speed would I be needing if i decided to go that way.. Marty

T-18 4 speed from a ford bolts up to the bell housing.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    with the 360 everything should work out fine I have a warm 304 with a t150 and so far its holding up pretty well. If you swap trannies you will need different driveshafts. as far as the flywheel goes they are available but I would be sure that it is balanced properly as some of the cheap ones are pretty far off and make sure you run a good clutch cause cheap ones burn up pretty quick if you drive with the skinny pedal