Bulltear Ad

Thread: Will my 290 manual flex plate fit a 401 and be balanced okay

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

Will my 290 manual flex plate fit a 401 and be balanced okay

I have a flex plate from a 290 cu. in. motor with a manual trans. Will that fit a 401 that had an automatic okay?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    NO.

All Gen2 and Gen3 AMC V-8s are externally balanced. The harmonic balancer and flywheel/flexplate are displacement specific. You will need a 401 flywheel/flexplate.

Also, the crankshaft flanges are different (unless you have a 71 401). The 290 flywheel won't fit over the flange of the 72-up crank.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    Thank you Bob! I have a lot to learn but thankfully there are many forums on AMC motors.

And manual transmissions don't use flexplate's, they use flywheels.
    ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas & diesel