Thread: All terrain KO's vs. Mud Terrain

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

All terrain KO's vs. Mud Terrain

Ok guys, It's time for new tires on the CJ.

I currently have 33x12.50x15 BFG All Terrain KO's on the CJ. I am thinking of switching to the Mud Terrain.

How much noiser are the Mud Terrains? I do a lot of highway miles so a real noisy tire would drive me nuts!

Thanks!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The MTs will be louder than the ATs. I ran BFG MTs for years, and they are very bearable, not nearly as loud as when I ran Monster Mudders or Swamper TSLs.

Any mud tire will be loud due to the big lugs and voids between. Those are what makes a mud tire work.

I'm running Goodyear MT/Rs right now, and I think they're a little quieter than the BFGs.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    I've run all 3 of BF Goodrich tires worth buying. All Terrain, (old style) Muds and Krawlers. If you do mostly road driving and a little off road, All Terrains are your best bet. Good and quiet on road, with decent mileage. If you do a bit more off roading Muds are a good choice. They are a little louder than the All Terrains, but it's a good mix of a tire that handles well on road and off. Krawlers on the other hand are pretty sucky on road, but off road not many other tires come close. They sound like machine gun fire on the highway though.
    Also, if you get your tires siped they'll last a bit longer and be a bit quieter on the road. They'll stop a bit better on wet pavement too.

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Thanks for the advice...

Most of my off roading is on logging roads and such, so it sounds as if the All-Terrain KO's are the best bet.

Thanks Again!

Bulltear forum member Cook
    I have the Mud Terrains on my truck adn they're pretty nice. I was afraid they'd be much louder, but they're about he same as teh A/T's that were on it before (don't remember the brand). Mine are narrow though - 255/85's, so that's less noise. Good to know the A/T's are recommended as well though - I'll go with those next, and a bit wider.