Bulltear Ad

Thread: EXHAUST VALVE ROTATORS

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

EXHAUST VALVE ROTATORS

OK I got my heads back from the rebuilder. Basic stuff, bronze guides, cleaned up the throats, new valves. Are the exhaust valve rotators needed? I assume that their job is to rotate the valve so that it does not constantly seal on the same spot.
    Should I just scrap them and replace the springs and retainers with some aftermarket ones, or keep the rotators? It's a truck motor going in a J-20 for towing.
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I've never had a problem without them. Even AMC abandoned them in the mid 70s, the later heads don't have them.

Unless you have a tool to test spring tension, it's cheap insurance to throw on new springs, retainers, and locks.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

springs

Without a doubt new stuff. I was not sure which spring / retainer combo I was going to use and my machine guy had a slow spot so I sent the heads out. I am getting Crane springs with steel retainers. I was also not sure if the rotators were needed for a truck application only.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    didnt the rotators have something to do with preventing carbon buildup from holding a valve open? I cant think of any reason to keep em and the factory couldnt either.

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Take those things to the lake and throw them as far as you can! With the suggestion of the Mopar Tech Line I ran rotators on my 360 heads years ago. It only had a .484 lift cam in it but the Mopar guys said it would be fine. Wrong. After about 2,000 miles the rotator separated and the valve dropped. Broke the valve head off and lodged it in the piston. Split the cylinder wall, etc. Never use a two piece retainer - EVER!

EXHAUST VALVE ROTATORS

THEY ARE LONG GONE..... NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN[/quote]