Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb in need of guidance

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

Newb in need of guidance

Besides oil changes and some overheating troubleshooting, I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to engines. I'm getting a free 360, not sure the specifics on it yet, but I want to use it to learn how to build an engine. Are there any good AMC books or just general V8 rebuild books or DVDs you guys would recommend? I'd love to take a class and learn hands on with someone watching over my shoulder but regular school doesn't leave much time for extra classes. Thanks for the help.

Eric

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Welcome to the world of AMCs and Bulltear.
    Ask anything you want, lots of helpful people here.

This is one of the better books.

http://www.hobbyobsession.com/bjsbook.html

There's also this book, but it hasn't been updated since the early 70s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...parms=72%3A727

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    Thanks Bob. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

Any specific engine stand you guy recommend? I'm looking at this one because I could pick it up from Sears and not worry about shipping

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

Probably overkill. An AMC V-8 weighs less than 700 LBS fully dressed. I've got a 1000 LB stand from Harbor Freight that was around $50 on sale. Just depends on what you want to spend, and how much you use it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32916

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Look on Craigslist as there always seems to be someone getting rid of a stand.

Ok I'm picking up my free 360 on Sunday and I have a few questions. I ordered a stand from Sears, this one to be exact http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

I've never used an engine hoist or stand so, first off what type of chain should I buy to use to lift the motor and how much will I need?

How do I attach the engine to the stand? I doubt the stand comes with bolts so what size bolts do I need to go buy? I need to get all this done Sunday so I can return the engine hoist I'm borrowing to the local offroad shop. Thanks for the help!

Eric

I'm guessing the bolts will be the same size/pitch/thread as the bell housing bolts. Still can't find that info anywhere though..

This tool is worth it's weight in gold..
    http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,engine%2...9E3476E6340B7F

But for a 1 time use, go get a piece of 3/8" chain about 2 feet long. You should be able to get a manifold bolt thru the link. Attach it crosswise (left front/right rear) to the intake manifold bolts.

The bolts for the engine stand will be 3/8" for top holes and 7/16" for the bottom. You need 2 bolts of each size Length will depend on the stand, probably 3 1/2" to 4" long. Be sure they're at least grade 5, grade 8 is better.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    This tool is worth it's weight in gold..
    http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,engine%2...9E3476E6340B7F

But for a 1 time use, go get a piece of 3/8" chain about 2 feet long. You should be able to get a manifold bolt thru the link. Attach it crosswise (left front/right rear) to the intake manifold bolts.

The bolts for the engine stand will be 3/8" for top holes and 7/16" for the bottom. You need 2 bolts of each size Length will depend on the stand, probably 3 1/2" to 4" long. Be sure they're at least grade 5, grade 8 is better.

Bob
    tufcj
    Thanks Bob, thats a big help. Could I also just wrap the chain around the motor a couple times? I've got about 20ft of 3/8" chain at my disposal.

I've pulled an engine with a tow strap wrapped around it. The problem is there's a good chance you'll dent the pan and valve covers. They're only tin, not meant to support any amount of weight. A couple of feet of chain and a couple of bolts and thick washers can't be more than $5 at a local hardware store.

There's always a deal like this that mounts to the top of the intake. I've never trusted the weight of an engine to four 5/16" bolts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HEAVY-DUTY-ENGINE-LIFT-PLATE-15042_W0QQitemZ270277630835QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Automotive_Tools?hash=item270277630835&_trksid= p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|24 0%3A1318

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford