Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Newb in need of guidance - Page 3
Bulltear Ad
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newb in need of guidance

you could use a crankturning socket or use bulltear crank turning nut, this is the one i'm using right now in my rebuild

Thats assuming the engine is not froze up.

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    I didn't find any numbers on the distributor when I looked before work this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jinpdx
    Thats assuming the engine is not froze up.
    I'm hoping its not

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    most engine rebuilding shops will clean your block for you for a reasonable fee. they dip them or put them in a steam cabinet to blast the crud off and then some will bake them and bead blast em too. we have a shop up here that will clean your block and send it back looking like the day it came of the foundry line for about 75 bucks.

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq
    most engine rebuilding shops will clean your block for you for a reasonable fee. they dip them or put them in a steam cabinet to blast the crud off and then some will bake them and bead blast em too. we have a shop up here that will clean your block and send it back looking like the day it came of the foundry line for about 75 bucks.
    I guess thats another thing I need to research. Do you guys know of any good machine shops in the Northern VA area?

Tag on the valve cover reads: 412N04

Didn't take the heads off because I've got some questions. First, can I take the heads off without the crank turning nut?

Secondly, in this next picture, what is the part that I have labeled A? Should that part A be able to rotate? And any tips to remove the bolt I've circled? I soaked it with PB for several hours with no luck. Can I take an impact to it?

And in this picture, notice the chunk of the head missing. The bolt that goes there was not on the intake and the chunk fell off after I took the manifold off. I'm guessing I'll need a new head.

A is the damper is should be turning with a socket but it wont be easy to turn since everything is still connected inside the bloc ( pistons, head assembly, camshaft ),

for that stock bolt use a breaker bar or mid impact gun

the best would be to get a new set of heads so that everything is in good condition you dont want a leaking head when everything is done

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoki06
    Tag on the valve cover reads: 412N04
    4 = either 1971 or 1984. Since it has bridged rocker heads, I'd say 1984.
    12 = December
    N = 2 BBL 360
    04 = 4th day of month

So you have a 2 BBL 360 built December 4th, 1984.

Before you trash the head, a shop may be able to weld and re-tap that hole, since there's no sealing surface around it. What concerns me is to the left on the block looks like a crack, it could be a casting mark.

The stuck bolt may be corroded into the aluminum timing cover. An impact gun and some heat from a torch may be needed.

Pull the heads and look at the cylinders. If there's open valves and you can't turn the engine, loosen both bolts on the bridge evenly, a couple of turns at a time.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I see what you're talking about with what looks like a crack. I'll check that out more tomorrow.

Is the bridge the part that connects the two rockers? So there'd be 4 per head if its the thing I'm thinking about.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Yep. The bridge is the part that connects the 2 rockers. They can snap if you loosen one unevenly while it has spring pressure on it.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford