Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Newb in need of guidance - Page 4
Bulltear Ad
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Newb in need of guidance

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    Got the heads off without any broken bridges. 2 of the cylinders are pretty rusted up, looks like water sat in there for a while. I got the one stuck bolt out finally with the use of a little M=F*L (if you're engineerd like myself). I finally got the crank to rotate a little but not very much. Just enough to see some pistons move half an inch or so.

How do I get the damper off? It looks like that needs to come off before I can take the timing cover off. Here are some pictures:

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    And all of the pictures I've been taking are here in this album:

http://s522.photobucket.com/albums/w...i06/AMC%20360/

the harmonic balancer will come out with the use of a puller and will go back in with an installer. It's a great tool to have if you have the money for it.

looks like you will need a good machine work on those cylinders

keep it up !

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    There's a bolt in the center of the harmonic balancer. That needs to come out. You will need a puller to get it off. You should be able to borrow/rent/buy a harmonic puller at most auto parts stores.

DON'T try a regular 2 or 3 finger puller, you can easily damage the balancer.

Pour some ATF in each cylinder and let it sit a couple of days. Then work it back/forth until you can turn it. With enough rust in the cylinders to stop it from turning, you're almost guaranteed to need a bore to clean it up.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Once I get the balancer off and the pistons moving, is there a specific procedure for revoming the bottom end? Or can I just go bolt by bolt and work my way down through? It looks like all I've got left to remove is timing cover and chain, cam, crank, pistons and other stuff on the bottom end.

My local Advance Auto only has the 3 prong puller. Any idea where I can find a 4 prong one?

Acutally I'm not sure which type it is. It looks like this

you dont need a 4 bolts puller but you'll need to get a puller and installer kit if you want to put it back on

Last kit on this page is what your looking for, try looking around in your local tool shop

http://www.mytoolstore.com/wilmar/wtech06.html

maybe someone can give you some places, I'm in canada so it wont be the good one haha

Got the balancer off along with the timing chain cover, chain, and cam. How do I get the gear off the end of the cam?

I guess the next step is the crank and pistons. I've got ATF fluid sitting in the cylinders now. Should I wait until I can fully rotate the crank before trying to remove everything else?

for th gear on the cam.... are you talking about the cam gear or the timing spocket ? for the gear its a small bolt in frontof the cam, if the gear is stock on the cam just use a rubber hammer ... timing gear you need to pull it as one unit. pull it top and bottom one side at a time it will get out.

pistons should get out using hammer and 2' piece of wood, it on the side of the piston skirt, if its stock the ring will break its ok you need new one any way and you will need a cylinder job too