Thread: dana 30 spindle seal orientation 1976 cj5

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

dana 30 spindle seal orientation 1976 cj5

putting my dana 30 back together which was missing the spindle seal behind the needle bearing does anyone know which way this seal goes into spindle against needle bearing?? thanks for the help dj and his cj

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    There are 2 styles of seal, depending on the year of the axle.

The 1st is a press-in seal that goes in the back of the spindle. That style goes in with the spring and lip toward the Torrington bearing inside the spindle.

The second style goes on the stub axle, and is "V" shaped. The V faces the spindle.

If you've ever swapped axle shafts, check the diameter of the sealing surface on the stub axle. The axles shafts will interchange but the axles that use the V shaped seal are too big to go into the press in seal. Likewise, if it's made for the press in seal, it's too small for the V shape. Either mismatch will let water/dirt in and quickly ruin the Torrington bearing.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

thanks for the replies

I appreciate the replies! the seal kit I have has a small seal that looks like it goes into back of spindle and also a larger seal that goes over the stub shaft along with a flat plastic washer I think you answered my question as to small seal is meant to keep grease in and large seal meant to keep dirt and water out I think ! thanks again for the help fellow jeeper amc'r