Thread: axle tube seals

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

axle tube seals

Would there be any problems if I put seals in the axle tubes of a model 20? i have tube seals in my front end and I am having trouble with the seals on the rear leaking. I am thinking that if I put seals in the tubes then I can just pack the wheel bearings with grease and not worry about oil leaking into my brakes. the seals Im looking at are made by seals it
    http://www.sealsit.com/lowcostaxleseal.asp

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I don't think there's room for that kind of seal in an AMC20 axle tube. Just FYI, there is an inner and outer seal in the 20 from the factory. They usually don't leak unless the diff is over full, the housing is bent, or the sealing surface is corroded.

The inner can be swapped by pulling the axle/hub/bearing/backing plate as a unit. The seal sits behind the bearing. Replacing the outer requires separating the hub/axle. That's best done by taking the entire assembly to a machine shop. I've seen them stall a 20 ton press. If you replace both seals and bearings, you should be good for another 20 years (providing everything else checks out).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford