Thread: rear shocks too short

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

rear shocks too short

I have the body /engine/trans out of my cj5 is it normal for rear shocks to be too short ? I ordered stock shocks and the rear shock is about an inch too short the fronts just make it should I wait until the body /engine /trans are back on or are these in fact too short I dont believe this jeep is lifted but how do you tell are there standard measurements I can make from ground to frame rails? I dont want these shocks too bindup suspension travel so my gut feeling is too find longer rear shocks any sites out there with shock specs extended compressed?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    It will drop some when the engine/trans go in, but if they're too short now, they will limit suspension droop.

When I did the suspension on my Jeep, the local 4x4 shop had a ramp. I drove it there with no shocks, twisted it up several directions on the ramp and measured compressed and extended length between the shock mounts. The shop had books for several brands that listed the extended and compressed length of their shocks. I bought shocks that extended and compressed a little more than the max measurement I got on the ramp. I ended up with Rancho 9000s, I like them a lot.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

thanks

I think I will use that idea it takes out the guessing element I was guessing on a set of monroe shocks with a compressed height of 13.25" and 21" extended with 7.5 travel thanks for the info