Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Need a oil filter bypass valve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a oil filter bypass valve

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

Need a oil filter bypass valve

Hey guys,
    My engine builder says my '74 304 didn't have an oil filter bypass
    valve in it and I can't find one anywhere. It's all rebuilt and will be ready to go as soon as I get that valve. Anybody have one they will get rid of?
    Also, my timing cover was worn out so I found one on Ebay.
    Bought it and saw it was made in China. Is that the Crown crap I read about on this forum?
    If so, That was a wasted $200.
    Thanks for any advice and especially if anybody will sell me a bypass valve!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    As far as I know, All the new aftermarket timing covers (even sold from Mopar dealers) are made by Crown. There were several batches where the machining of the oil pump shaft hole was so far out of tolerance that the distributor wouldn't go in once it was installed on the motor. That's why MC here at Bulltear started checking EVERY ONE that he sells for proper fit. I want to say the failure rate was over 30% on one batch. Yours might work, it might not.

The oil filter bypass was eliminated on later production engines, maybe mid 80s. Since they were eliminated, I doubt anyone stocks the parts. You can get a new replacement filter adapter here at Bulltear without the bypass, or have your machinist just tap and plug the hole. The bypass allows unfiltered, dirty oil back thru your engine, so you're better off using a quality filter (I like Napa Gold or Wix) and no bypass.

If you really want to keep it. Email me your snail mail addy, and I'll send you the parts.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Performance American Style sells them, they are directly from Mopar...

Dave

I don't know if you're in a hurry but I've got a used oil pump in working condition that I'm not gonna use? I'm from canada

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    you looking for the flap and the spring and the ring to hold it in place

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    Thanks, guys. If it'll work by plugging the hole and eliminating the bypass altogether, that's what I'll do.
    I've had a hell of a time with this engine. First rebuild kit I ordered never showed. Finally got my money back and ordered another one and they sent me marine pistons with it. Got those replaced and then the machine shop took forever and now its been sitting waiting for a bypass valve. Can't wait to get the old Jeep back on the road.
    My ex-wife's son is rebuilding a Javelin, If he ever needs any advice, I'll send him here, you guys know your AMC's.
    Thanks, again.
    If my engine guru says we gotta have a bypass valve, I'll get back to you.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    what is the difference between standard pistons and marine pistons? thicker casting, ring spacing, dome? I have never seen the two side by side so i dont know the difference.

I really don't know if there is a difference. Its been too long for me to remember what the deal was. (other than they didn't fit) I'll ask my buddy who's doing the engine again and get back to you. Dave, the machine shop guy who was boring the block to fit the pistons took one look and said "These are not Jeep pistons." He may have even knew they were marine. I don't remember.
    what happened was the person who filled my order transposed two digits in the stock number and I got marine pistons with my Jeep rebuild kit.
    Thanks for the photo, Fuzz401, and for answering my need for parts, tufcj and mkzmomo, and the link to performance american style, dwloop. I shoulda came here a long time ago.

I asked Bob, my engine guru/Harley/Mopar/Cat mechanic about the marine pistons and he said my AMC engine wouldn't like marine pistons very much cause they are LOW compression. As is very low. So there you have it.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Those could be low comp forged supercharger pistons! What part # do they have on them? I may have a use for them if your willing to sell them.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689