Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
S.P.2-P Edelbrock Intake ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S.P.2-P Edelbrock Intake ?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

S.P.2-P Edelbrock Intake ?

ok, I have this intake on my 360 & I am just finishing up my frame additions & getting ready for the tub. A friend came over & started to ask questions & we ended up talking about the intake. Since I am a I-6 guy I have some questions about the V8 Edelbrock intake & Holly carb. This engine/carb set up was in a Jeep I bought for my daughter a couple years ago & I wouldn't let her have the engine set up (she complained) so I put it in my CJ8 build (going slow but being done right).

So I have some first grade questions cause I'm just not going to guess.

In the pictures below my friend is pointing to the respective parts of this intake. Plese let me know what they are, I think I know but U all know what assume means. :)

Intake that's on the 360.

Now, I have a Holley carb I i don't have the box, I think it's a 650 but could someone confirm. The air horn has these numbers on it.
    4776-5

Thanks again, class over :)

Jim
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The SP-2P was a mileage oriented manifold from the 70s gas crunch. They work reasonably well on a mild 304 but tend to choke the 360s and 401 at higher revs. They are no longer made by Edelbrock. They have very tiny ports to the heads to keep intake velocity up.

Make sure the manifold has the tin baffle on the bottom and/or is installed with the "valley pan" gasket (both are preferred). Without them, the engine can suck oil thru the PCV system into the cylinders.

pic 1 is the port for the PCV valve. There should be a rubber grommet in there.

pic 2 is for a water temp sensor. The fitting there is for a manual style gauge.

pic 3 is called the "choke stove" and would have supplied heated air to open the choke on the factory carb via tubes that are broken off.

pic 4 is the vacuum fitting for power brakes. The smaller fitting was for some sort of smog valve.

List 4476 carb show up in my reference as a 600 CFM double pumper (mechanical secondaries). CFM is probably right for a 304 or mild 360, but for off-road you'd probably be better off with something with vacuum secondaries.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

the big hole in back is the pcv port. the threaded fitting in front is for a water temp sender ( I think its threaded into the water crossover passage?) the third is for the stock choke stove coil. the last one you wont need to use with the holley if it has an electric or manual choke.

OK that's whats I thought.

I got
    # 1 right
    # 2 wrong
    # 3 right but thought it was the heater forthe choke, same thing.
    # 4 I blew myself up on, thought it was for vacuum but didn't know what.

I did notice on the drivers side there is a temp sensor screwed in like on the 258's. It does have a mechanical choke set up

So, all I really need is the PCV gromet. I also notice the small tube port on the other side for the vacuum advance just below the horn ( I can get a pic if need be).

? Why do U say teh vacuum secondaries would be better, (I did get this in a purchase as a package etc. so I can't complain). I'm not going to do any EXTREME rock crawling but I will be in off camber situations/mud/clay where I'm at.

Thanks,
    Jim

P.S. The only vacuum I will be running is the dizzy. Manual brakes. Does anyone know where I can get a gromet or just go to E-Brock. Also, which PVC valve to get, just one for a 360 or do I need something different since I have this intake on. It's a 1974 AMC 360.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You can find a grommet in the "Help" section of most auto parts stores. If you aren't using the brake port, plug it.

Mechanical secondaries (double pumpers) open all 4 barrels at almost the same time. At low RPM, that can overwhelm the engine with a rich mixture, and cause a bog. With a vacuum secondary, the back barrels only open when needed, based on engine vacuum, so you really can't be "over carbed".

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

OHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks. I think I have an adjustment on it to where it only opens when I mash it further. Let me take a pic & I'll get back 2 U. I don't have a manual on this thing and will need one cause it has sat & I'm sure the floats are off.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

OK, I looked down the throat & her's what I seen.

Starting to open the throttle, main opens about a 1/4 way or a little further only drwaing fuel from one bowel, then, a little more and they both start opening together to W.O.Throttle drawing fuel form both bowels.

I guess it's good for the strip.

It should work alright intil I can swap it out.

I do have a facotry 4bbl intake & carb, pic below but I think this motor may have had some work done to it.

Stock parts:

86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

PICTURE NUMBER 3

Just curious but in picture number 3 the carb is mounted backwards. Is there a reason for that?
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Re: PICTURE NUMBER 3

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEYJOE
    Just curious but in picture number 3 the carb is mounted backwards. Is there a reason for that?
    Better fuel mileage

No, I had it off & had to put it on hand tight cause I had to move it to my new house. The back bolt isn't even tight, my friend who was pointing @ the pictures mentioned it & I told him no biggie, I'll drive back wards
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

check ebay. you can find used carbs there for a good deal if you check often. I paid less than 60 bucks for a holley 600 and about 75 for an eddy performer 600 with manual chokes. check the sale section here or post in the wanted section too.