Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

CJ8 to M170 Build - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: CJ8 to M170 Build

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Well I bought some new gauges for the build and a Lokar throttle cable. I used Summit gauges because Auto Meter was just to expensive for mechanical gauges. I looked on the box and Summit gauges were made in Twain, go figure. We will see how long they last then go from there. I bought the cluster (cheaper/right color) and will use them separately.

Mechanical temp gauge

I couldn't use the radiator neck so I had to use the intake port for the mechanical gauge.

Mechanical oil gauge

Volt meter

Sorry for the blurred pics, weird day w/the light.
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I was able to add one gauge above where your temp gauge is. There wasn't enough room above the oil gauge because of the heater. There may be room with the tip outs that you're using. I added a vacuum gauge to the left of the heater controls, where a factory clock would have been.

Maybe you can see them here.

Bob
    tufcj
    Last edited by tufcj; 04-23-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks Bob, wasn't sure it it would fit. I did eye ball it and it still looks close. I was also thinking of putting the fuel gauge where U have the vacuum gauge if I need one. Still thinking of getting one from 4wd or ??? I will get a sender next week (AZone) but I would like to get one for a 20 gal tank (Summit didn't have one) and 4wdh has one for a 20 gal but AZone doesn't.

Question: Why do you all have a vacuum gauge installed, I'm seeing this more and more? I know why they are used, but not just every day.

Thanks,
    Jim
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Installed the Volt meter gauge above the Temp gauge and using the angle like the others it fit straight above the stock temp location. If you do not use the angle set up it will hit the factory air duck and won't fit.

Bought some dumps 2-1/4" so when I want to be loud I can :)

Installed steering wheel and painted seat brackets and re-installed.

Adjusted the passenger door and waiting for the drivers side door striker to come in along w/the factory knobs for the twin stick.

Painted the 1/2 hard top and installed.

Installed the seat belts but I need two seat belt extensions 12-18" due to the CJ8 set up and connecting to the roll bar.

Installed NOS side mirror and I want to powder coat the side mirrors arm black.

Installed air filter system.

I still have to do the door side panels, rock guards, touch up and paint the doors as well as clean up the inside. Still little things to do.

Also need to bleed brakes, install NOS review mirror, check fuel sending gauge in tank w/a spare I have to see if the gauge registers.

I am taking the exhaust to a guy in town to do. I bought all the stuff and returned it because he can do it for the same price and probably better.

So in the mean time I did drive it around the property here and washed it :)
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    How do you like the Lokar Throttle cable? I'm in the middle of trying to make a better system. I didn't have good luck with the last OEM one I bought.
    74 CJ5, 360w/T-18/D20, Scout D44's Locked front & rear w 5.38's, 36" Swampers & a ton of work...

It's a Jeep thing, Chrysler doesn't understand!

Cats Meow :)

Just leave length, I cut mine to fit and I might have to order another cable. Still plating w/it but it is responsive, better than OEM.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by rollbar View Post
    Cats Meow :)

Just leave length, I cut mine to fit and I might have to order another cable. Still plating w/it but it is responsive, better than OEM.
    Thanks, looking good too! I bet it was nice to finally drive it.

Did you use the 24"? How was the length?
    Last edited by northplainsdrifter; 10-03-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    74 CJ5, 360w/T-18/D20, Scout D44's Locked front & rear w 5.38's, 36" Swampers & a ton of work...

It's a Jeep thing, Chrysler doesn't understand!

Yes it was good and I had a VIN inspection done today so I can get the plates, then touch up after I drive it.

The Super Lift springs are tight, WOW.

P.S. Scroll up and you will see the pic of the Lokar package, I got it for the AMC-360 but it should fit the 258, I had to cut off a lot.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Installed the shift lever seal and adjusted the bands on the TF-999 transmission.

Transmission looks excellent and I did have to drop the valve body.

Refilled tranny pan etc and now she shifts great and no leaks.

Next week, the exhaust.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rollbar View Post
    The Super Lift springs are tight, WOW.
    Had Superlift springs on my CJ years ago. Ended up taking the short leaf out of the rear pack to soften them up some. Make sure you don't have the shackles and front spring eyes too tight. The shackles should have some sort of self locking nut (nylock or crimped) and only have maybe 10-15 ft/lbs of torque. Also, if you tightened the bolts with no weight on them, loosen them and retorque with the weight of the vehicle on them. They will soften and settle with some use.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford