Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

CJ8 to M170 Build - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: CJ8 to M170 Build

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Thanks Bob, I did tighten the shackles up, I'll check it out when I fill the tank. I have YJ shackles on and the YJ long bolts. I could back them off to 15ft lbs like you said and double nut them for safety.

I'm going to try that first b-4 I take the spring pack apart. Since I am out in the dessert now I'm going to see what loads I carry on the trail, then I guess I can make better decision. But first, I have to re-gear, I have 3.73's on the shelf and the front D-30 is already cut for a OX locker.

Just wondering w/the TF-999 and 3.73/33" or (32" now) tires it will be bad on fuel unless I get a 4spd. Going to try out the auto behind the 360 but I have a spare T-176 in the garage.
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Temp sending unit test:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6-ahK5t0c

NOTE: I did check the fuel sender again and it still doesn't work. Read below.

1. Still No juice and fuse is good.

2. Have power to Fuel gauge but they both don't work.

3. Did the ground to sender w/Key on to see if the gauge moved, it didn't.

4. Question:
    Does some one have a GOOD picture of the dash wiring so I can check mine against it just to make sure.

BTW-I installed manual oil/temp/voltmeter gauge in the dash. But would still like to get the fuel working, if not, then I'll buy one and I guess use the power lead to the original fuel gauge.

5. OK, After checking everything SEEMS like I have NO juice @ the fuse. I pulled the fuse to check the block and NO JUICE on the prongs.

6. Question:
    Does this mean when I plugged it in they may have missed?

Or ?

7. I do after checking (w/the key on) have power to the red wire going to the gauge. Hope it didn't fry it.

Here is an old pic of my dash wiring:

8. OK, Checked Peaches (1986 CJ7) Jeep and the ACC.LPS (3amp fuse) does not have juice w/a test light and key in the on position. W/key on, the red wire going to her fuel gauge is hot....... SAME AS MINE.

9. I noted that she has a Purple wire w/a orange stripe going to her temp gauge whereas MINE has a purple wire w/a white stripe -1984 CJ8

10. I'll check tomorrow and see if I have a purple wire w/a orange stripe for the temp.

11. What I can't figure out is why w/the Key one the ACC.LPS on both Jeeps w/the fuse removed has no power.

12. Also, I did pull the wire apart @ the tank and no power w/a test light @ the plug in going to the tank.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

OK, did some testing and although I do have power @ the red wire I am not getting results as per the write up. And I am way above OHMS on A to I = 50ohms. A to S/S to I = nothing. I do have good grounds on the speedo and all over the Jeep as I have added a bunch of grounds and a dash ground directly from the battery.

** I think my best bet (since I have mechanical gauges) is just to buy a fuel gauge and install it using the RED wire as my HOT and the pink going to the sender.

Reason, I'm not so sure about these after market CJ gauge speedo inserts UNLESS you guys think they are decent.

Please let me know what you have found using these after market CJ insert gauges.

Thanks,
    Jim
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

I just OHMed out the PINK wire from the gauge to the tank connection @ the frame and it did OHM out so what i think I'm gonna do is buy a fuel gauge (correct ohms needed in the gauge) and use the RED feed wire and the PINK to the tank. Hopefully that should work.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

OK. I installed the new fuel (SW) gauge. I could not buy this in black so I will paint the chrome. I did not want to paint it until I knew it worked.

I added 3.5 gallons of fuel (tank was empty) and the gauge reads just at the top of the "E" (@ least I know @ "E" I have 3 gallons left :) ).

Below are pictures of the gauge resting w/the key off, and on (w/Jeep running). I'm happy, sender works fine and :) @ least "E" means "E" (well real close for a CJ).

Looking from the drivers seat, camera located @ the turn signal lever and on zoom.

Key Off:

Key On, guage coming up:

Gauge up:

Camera @ the turn signal lever and facing straight on.

Now looking from the drivers seat.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Ok, found out exactly where the antifreeze leak is coming from, the head gasket on the passenger side. :(

86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Took the CJ8 out for her maiden voyage today. Put about 15 miles on it and she does surely turn some heads. Of course in a small town w/the OD etc, they are probably thinking how many guns does he have in there. :)

Ran well, still some tweaking and finishing up work to do, but its coming along.

I would like to take this time to thank EVERYONE who helped and answered my questions during the building process.

Thanks again,
    Jim

P.S. More pics to come for the completion-stay tuned.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Well, I got the plates yesterday.

Still not 100% complete, but getting there.

The wife said when I got the Jeep on the road she was going to get these plates for me as a gift.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Mark & I made a spare tire extension bracket to fit mu 33x12.5 spare tire.

Stock CJ8 Bracket

Had to cut/round the stock bracket to fit the rim as well as bend in and blend in a rounded edge for the inner rim

New extension bracket mounted to the CJ8 stock bracket. Note: we counter sunk the holes for the stock bracket stud welds

Bead blasted the metal then painted w/black paint

86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep