Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
SCREWED AGAIN
Bulltear Ad

Thread: SCREWED AGAIN

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

SCREWED AGAIN

OK I bit for those zippy copper header gaskets on ebay and got burnt. I installed them with my new Edelbrock TES exhaust on my 401 in the J-20 project. I have lots of exhaust leaks between the head and the header. I talked to a former edelbrock engineer who is a member of another forum and he said that the copper gaskets work well with the stock manifolds but not with the header style sealing beads. I guess he means that the factory exhaust manifold being machined flat and not needing a gasket from the factory will seal with the copper gasket while most headers are not flat and have a sealing bead. Anyone else run into this? by the way the Edelbrock gaskets are back ordered until 2/16
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I was on vacation with Jeep last year when I blew out a header gasket. I could'nt find any in the local auto parts store so I improvised. I used some hi-temp gasket sealer and bolted the header directly to the head and I haven't had a leak yet! I've kept an eye on the bolts to make sure they were tight and they haven't came loose yet. I'm just hoping I don't have any long term issue's, but for now I'm really happy with the way it's working. I've went through many a paper gaskets and also a few of the more expensive metal ones.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Tried the copper ones in my AMX with Hooker super-comps. The passenger side sealed fine, the driver side leaked terribly.

I spent the money for Remflex gaskets. http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-583.htm

I've also heard good things about Percy's. http://www.percyshp.com/xxcarbon.html

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

gaskets

Funny you say that Bob since mine is leaking on that side also. Going to try your gasket suggestion

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Copper gaskets for the exhaust by Mr. Gasket are about the worst I have ever seen. I have a couple sets here I wouldnt give away.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Ive had the same experience with copper gaskets. I spent the better part of an afternoon trying to get em to seal and finally gave up and ordered the super comp mr. gasket graphite layered ones. they sealed up great and i havent had a problem yet.

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    These are the best I have found. When I first tried these they were the same demension as all others and I could tell they were going to leak so I did not even try them but then they contated me and asked if I liked them and I told them what I thought and they said they were aware of this problem and were developing a modified dog leg port gasket and they would send me a set free as soon as they were ready. When I got the new ones they worked great and I will never use anything else again..Just my opinion but I was inpressed that they backed up thier product like that..
    Here is a link to them,
    http://catalog.remflex.com/AMC_Jeep_...t_p/rf1003.htm

REMFLEX

I ordered them through BJ's and I hope to get them and install them by this weekend. Boy did I learn a lesson. I thought the copper ones would work fine, and I guess they will on stock manifolds that are machined flat. As we know the stock set up does not use a gasket but from the factory the fresh machined surfaces don't need one. I'll save these for the next stock exhaust manifold motor I put together....... in other words never...

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    what about the steel sided gasket that they use from the factory? I havent ever seen anything like that not use a gasket

REMFLEX GASKETS

Well it too a few hours but I changed the header gaskets on the J-20 project and guess what? Exhaust leaks gone. On the copper gaskets you can see on both sides where there was a major leak on both sides at the same place: the upper side of the center exhaust ports.

COPPER GASKETS DO NOT WORK ON HEADERS.

they might work on stock exhaust maifolds.