Thread: Electric fan rubber seal help

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum

Electric fan rubber seal help

I am installing a used Taurus electric fan. I need some type of rubber molding to help better seal the fan to the radiator. Where can I find this? I have searched everywhere. The basic molding from Home Depot is not heat resistant.

On most places I use something called the Right Stuff. It's a kind of silicone but it dries hard like a hockey puck. I imagine it would be good for this job. You can get it at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc.

if it dried hard won't it bend the radiator fins?

What exactly is it you're trying to do? Make the hole the fan sits in tighter?

seal the entire fan shroud all the way around so there are no air gaps. Where it mates to the aluminum radiator.

The foam pipe insulation that you insulate hot water pipes in the home are good to 210 degrees.

http://www.acehardware.com/family/in...631237.2631264

Also those self stick door rubbers might do the trick

http://shop.niagaraconservation.com/...ategory_Code=W

Quote Originally Posted by dooghssr
    seal the entire fan shroud all the way around so there are no air gaps. Where it mates to the aluminum radiator.
    Oh I get it. This stuff would be perfect. I doubt it would bend the fins, but it does get harder than regular silicone. It's a little tougher to clean off if you have to remove it but I'd use it for this task.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I added onto my taurus fan with fiberglass to cover the whole radiator. I cut the taurus shroud so it would sit flat against the radiator and added tabs for mounting. I seals well enough that i only run the fan on low and it never overheats even when im snow bashing

I wish I was that lucky. My 401 starts to overheat even before I start the dang thang. Now that I have an auto it will probably be even worse. I want to make the best seal as possible. The flexalite fan could not even touch it so now I am hoping the Taurus will work once I make a proper seal.