Thread: AMC Ultra Bell to GM Tranny questions

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey

AMC Ultra Bell to GM Tranny questions

Hey guys,

In light of the discussion over at IFSJA.org about the possibility of getting the AMC Ultra bell manufactured for mating a Dodge 518 (47RH) OD tranny up to an AMC, I began looking at the currently available Ultra Bells for AMCs. There is one available for the Powerglide and one available for the TH400/TH350. These are reasonably priced at $280 from JW.

What I am wondering is if the TH400/TH350 bell could be used on a 700R4 or 4L60/4L80 tranny also? IF it could, then it would be cheaper to adapt those, than to use the Adv. Adapter or Novak adapter for GM tranny to AMC engine.

My only thought, is that JW doesn’t list a specific flexplate for the AMCs, to use with their GM Ultra Bell … would we just use the Jeep TH400 flexplate and call it a day? Anyone out there running an AMC Ultra Bell that can chime in here? Thanks.

FYI, The Dodge 518 to AMC V8 Ultra Bell thread is at http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?p=872365
    Sincerely,
    GregTaylor :)
    Rochester Hills, MI
    1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2": Water/Hydrogen Injection Coming Soon ... 330" AMC stroker V8. 5" lift 31" BFG A/T's. Killer32 front bumper .. Oh, Yeah! and a FISH carburetor.

RE:ULTRABELL

I run the Ultrabell in my race car. I have both the turbo 400/350 version and the powerglide version. For a flexplate I use the mondello SFI approved flexplate and a std. ATI convertor meant for a GM turbo application.

With these combinations everything lines up and worked fine for me. No custom fitting of parts required. A bolt in proposition!

Now with that being said as with any custom parts I would double and triple check everything to verify fit in your application !

As far as the Ultrabell fitting any other Hydramatic transmission other than what JW advertises that they fit I can't speak to that because I do not know the pump bolt patterns and spacings of any of the other hydramatics.

Rob