Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
guide plate milling
Bulltear Ad

Thread: guide plate milling

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)

guide plate milling

bridged heads

IIRC it is .250 and then another .125 for the guide plates

so final milling would be .375 to retain stock geometry with 1.6:1 harland sharp roller rockers using arp 7/16 base 3/8 studs.

i shouldnt need longer pushrods (stock being 7.800") unless i go deeper or use crane roller rockers. i seem to recall years ago doing one with guide plates and going too deep or the combo of that and crane rockers and the result was needing .100 longer pushrods @ 7.900" to keep geometry correct. i may still end up needing the longer pushrods but i'll check that when i put her together

drill and tap studs to 7/16

Any feed back or corrections on that info machine shop going to work on this in the next day or three.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    when done I would still check the push rods for the right length

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You'll still want to check the geometry. I have 291C heads on my 69 390 with Crane gold rockers. It took a .100" longer pushrod to get the tip placed correctly on the valve. Be sure you use hardened pushrods designed for guide plates.

You're machining specs are right, it's about .250" + the thickness of the guide plate (usually 1/8" or .125").

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

thx

they are 5/16 correct? i've got 2 sets of .100 longer and 3 o 4 sets of the stockers hanging around here, when i assemble the little bugger i'll be checking for geometry
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

Member #377

Pushrods are the same as SBC. Stock length was 7.797", 5/16" diameter.

Length will depend on the base circle of the cam lobes, height of the lifter, rocker brand/type, even the valve that is used and how much the seat has been machined. If you have the head machined for adjustable rockers, it's another variable.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Damn I love this site!!!

Good gouge on guide plates :-) I have another 360 build coming up soon
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

can't remember the ARP part number but if someone is looking this up there are two options 7/16 or 3/8 studs

i believe they were chevy small block arp studs for the roller rockers. Anyone have the part numbers to post

the base thread is 7/16 so you will have to drilla nd tap the threads

Member #377

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    So with the http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=184 HD guideplates
    and http://store.summitracing.com/partde...7&autoview=sku HS Roller Rockers
    the rocker bosses would need to milled down .425" ?

Anybody have any luck finding the ARP part Number for the studs, one of these:
    http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Cat...talog_0046.pdf ?
    I was thinking one of the ones between, but not including, the "Mark V" and "Chevrolet big block (aluminum heads)" lines.

I used ARP studs for the SBC with roller rockers (ARP 134-7104). I used 3/8" Crane gold rockers on the early stud type heads (291-c).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford