Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AMC TPI Intake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMC TPI Intake

Bulltear forum member Cook

AMC TPI Intake

I been thinking about this for a while now. I would love to see someone make a GM TPI Intake for a AMC V-8. There are tons of junkyard FI swaps but the best one has yet to be realized. The old Slomaro TPI units were perfect for Jeeps and trucks but GM never used it in one. They have great throttle responce and low end torque. I think setting a 5.7L Camaro TPI system on a AMC 360 would make one sweet CJ or J truck engine. Everything is avaiable but an intake to bolt the stuff on. If one could make the intake and sell it for under $250.00 it would be a nice alternative to Edelbrocks big $$ Port FI system. IIRC the TPI unit runs out of RPM at 5k but most AMC's do too.

So what ya think AMC guru's?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    There was a guy that was welding injector bungs on a Torker manifold, then using something like a Megasquirt to fire it.

I think a system like the AMC Edelbrock TPI is still going to be your best bet.

At one time you could buy the Edelbrock TPI manifold separately, but I don't know if you still can. Even then, price was over $500.

$250 for a custom cast manifold isn't realistic. Think at least triple that to start, then it might come down if there's enough demand.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Maybe, but if they can produce and sell them reasonable they would sell, you go crazy on price and one would be better off buying the edelbrock kit.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Maybe get MC to weld injector bungs on manifolds and add fuel rails and injectors to the mix for a somewhat redibuilt system that the buyer could add a controller to to make it a complete system

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

TORKER CONVERSION

10-4 ON THE TORKER. I SAW A CAR WITH A TORKER CONVERSION AND IT LOOKED CUSTOM. I AM NOT IF THE TORKER RUNNERS OR PLENUM IS OPTIMUM FOR THE APPLICATION BUT IT WORKED WELL.
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7
    Maybe, but if they can produce and sell them reasonable they would sell, you go crazy on price and one would be better off buying the edelbrock kit.
    The less engines there are to build them for, the more they cost.
    AMC is not SBC

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    I really like this idea...but I am guessing the cost would push it into the same area as the Edelbrock turn key offering.

PROS:
    1. Use off the shelf components. The only exotic piece would be the intake manifold.
    2. Excellent aftermarket support with performance throttle bodies, injectors and plenum runners.
    Picking up some salvage yard units should not be that difficult, but because they are popular with hot rodders, the cost may not be attractive.
    3. While the computer tuning would all be based on Chevy 350 speca...a 360 is close in CID and I think the tuning would be a minor issue.
    4. Would benefit both Jeepers and AMC Go Fast Car guys.

CONS:
    1. The casting of a TPI intake that would fit a GEN3 AMC engine, but accept GM style TPI components would be costly.
    I am guessing the only way would be to go to China.
    2. Would GM get bent outta shape for someone to product such a part?

Here is a picture of an Edelbrock unit, courteous of Summit Racing.
    This unit is for a SBC and costs ~$400
    It scares me to think what this same intake would cost for an AMC engine.

MC, what are your thoughts on this idea?
    Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Why would GM get upset? Their going into Chapter 11 anyway AND part of their 'plan' is to bring in more imports anyway!!! Their in the same boad as Chrysler and the boat is sinking ....
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by The PIG Smith
    I really like this idea...but I am guessing the cost would push it into the same area as the Edelbrock turn key offering.

PROS:
    1. Use off the shelf components. The only exotic piece would be the intake manifold.
    2. Excellent aftermarket support with performance throttle bodies, injectors and plenum runners.
    Picking up some salvage yard units should not be that difficult, but because they are popular with hot rodders, the cost may not be attractive.
    3. While the computer tuning would all be based on Chevy 350 speca...a 360 is close in CID and I think the tuning would be a minor issue.
    4. Would benefit both Jeepers and AMC Go Fast Car guys.

CONS:
    1. The casting of a TPI intake that would fit a GEN3 AMC engine, but accept GM style TPI components would be costly.
    I am guessing the only way would be to go to China.
    2. Would GM get bent outta shape for someone to product such a part?

Here is a picture of an Edelbrock unit, courteous of Summit Racing.
    This unit is for a SBC and costs ~$400
    It scares me to think what this same intake would cost for an AMC engine.

MC, what are your thoughts on this idea?
    ive had a similar idea but i thought it would be sweet to do a mpfi setup like the vipers and the lambos and stuff with th dual throttles

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    nothing like resurrecting a a long dead thread.. but i have a full TPI injection system form an 85 vette I rebuilt. complete with computer MAF burn off and all with New 24 lb injectors, if any one wants to try and weld up a manifold we can sure try it.

just keep in mind while its a torque monster, it will be out of breath above 5000 rpm. (which is why the vette is slinging an Edlebrock 750 and bigger cam.) it was a bit too short winded at this altitude. It was totally done by 5500 rpm.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.