Thread: drilling spring pins

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

drilling spring pins

can you drill a new hole in a leaf pack to move your axle forward? I am wanting to move my axle forward about an inch but I like the fact that the centering pin locates my axle and holds my shim in place so I am wondering if you can just redrill the leaf pack and move the pin forward.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You can, I've seen it done. I've also seen re-drilled leaves fail miserably. You create a weak point both at the new hole, and at the old one. Leaves can crack if they flex at either hole. The original holes are drilled before the springs are tempered, so they're fairly solid when clamped down. You create a stress point with the new hole, and at the old open hole. You'll need a cobalt or carbide drill bit to drill the spring steel, anything else will quickly dull to the point of not cutting.

Can you afford to have one fail on the trail?

I've seen guys make a plate that centers on the old pin, then has another pin welded where they want the axle to sit. Or if it's just an inch or so, redrill the axle pad and the u-bolt plate the same amount off center. I did that to move the axle on my CJ forward when I had the WP shackle reversal on it.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    problem is that the stock spring perches are cast iron and are webbed so it would be nearly impossible to drill a new centering hole so I guess i wait till future upgrades