Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What I did this weekend...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I did this weekend...

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

What I did this weekend...

Saturday I went out and splurged a little bit - picked up these goodies at Northern Industrial:

I picked up a pair of tiny driving lights that were only 12 bucks, but looked pretty cool, so I made some brackets and mounted them. I also took off my valence at the same time (had I known it was that easy, I would have done it a long time ago!).

Making the brackets:

Brackets painted and ready to be mounted:

I then mounted them up up but didn't wire them up.

I then changed out the oil (was well over due) with some more Royal Purple - I love that stuff!

Finally I was trying to think of what could be a good project to test out the welder on. I haven't welded in years, so I didn't want to try something that would be visible. Hmm, what to do? Hey, I have some old Flowmasters from my CJ7 sitting in the garage, why not slap on one of those???

First I crawled under ye old Jeep, to check out if it would even fit. I realized that I needed an offset inlet on my muffler, and mine were center inlet. Well, by looking at it, I see that I will have at least 18" extra to work with, so maybe I will make an "S" pipe. Then I discovered that my muffler was taking a dump anyways - check out the leak on the bottom:

So I decided to take the big plunge and cut out the old muffler. Check out how huge this pig is compared to a flowmaster:

Here's another shot:

I was having trouble cutting the pipes, so I made this quick jig to hold them with a c-clamp.

I didn't have any bent pipe that I wanted to use (only picked up a 3' long section of pipe at the local auto parts store), so I made a bunch of pie cuts and welded it up. Talk about UGLY on the outside, but smooth on the inside!

Anywho, it took some finagling, but I finally got it all welded up and it sounds awesome!

I will try and get a video put some time in the next day or two.

Well next I decided to test wire up the driving lights to see if they actually worked or if they sucked monkey balls. They actually are pretty bright! I might pick up an extra set just in case one or both blow out.
    Lights mounted and testing them out:

I still need to put in the swithes and relays for all of my lighting that I plan on doing.

Anywho, that's as far as I got. I wanted to replace the spark plugs, but guess they will have to wait until next weekend.

Peace and chicken grease,
    Jack

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Yeah, it might not be a 6.1 like your beast, but at least it sounds a LOT better! So how is your's coming along? Ever finish up that forced induction setup?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Very Nice That leak in your stock muffler looks like the weep hole they put in em at the factory to let condensation out and keep em from rusting out BUT I wouldn't hesitate to use that as a justification for making the Jeep sound better

Yeah, that is what I found out over on the JeepsUnlimited board, but like you said, seemed like a good excuse to bust out the new welder and give my Jeep some balls!

I kept the factory exhaust tip since it was already 2.5", plus I just like that sleeper look. Too bad it's not a hemi.

Anywho, here's a quick video of what it sounds like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2VgLsqJNAc

My neighbors love me.

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    Yeah, it might not be a 6.1 like your beast, but at least it sounds a LOT better! So how is your's coming along? Ever finish up that forced induction setup?
    Ill be bolting on the Whipple when the CJ's done.
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

I finally started messing around with the wiring a little. I went digging through the official "box-o-wires" that every man has in his possesion. I dug out some wires, switches and relays and decided to wire up all the possible lights I might want in the future. The switches I had laying around from when I had my CJ7's, but just never installed them. It's still not complete, but at least the majority of the work is done.

The work bench-o-mess:

Have the trim piece cut out and the markings for the switches drawn out:

Test fitting the piece:

Not the best, but not bad for my handiwork...

Mounted the relays and running the wires:

Behind the scenes of the switches:

Trial fit:

The panel is just held on with some of that black crap that comes with speaker grills - I need to make a true mount to hold it in better. I also need to get some matching paint so it's not sitting in primer. Anywho, just thought I'd share...

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Very nice job!

When are you coming over to wire my Jeep?

Yeah, I am kind of sick in the fact that I love wiring cars - go figure!

Went wheeling today. Nothing too crazy since I have no lift and no skid plating, but did what trails I could at Morris Mountainside ORV park in Alabama.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMI-LT42Kc0