Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
What to look for in a project?

Thread: What to look for in a project?

What to look for in a project?

Gents, whilst browsing the local paper I came across a 1970 Javelin for $1800. It says it does not run but has all parts ready to go. No talk of condition. What do I need to look at on it? Any rust prone areas on these? (rust is my primary concern, it killed my Opel project.) Fair price? Any hints or suggestions? My grandfather is good at rebuilding engines (if it must be done, plus I want to learn). Sounds like it may be a good project, plus I've always wanted some muscle, I'm tired of all the 4 cylinders in my life. [/code]

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The price is fair. Engine/trans combo and option package (SST?) will change the value. Rust prone areas are always the rear quarters behind the tires, and the troughs along the top of the front fenders (inside the wheel well). Also check the rear seat foot wells and the front floorboards where your feet sit.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Also check for serious rust if any on the inboard sides of the rocker panels, from underneath the car along either side running from the front to rear fenderwheel at each side of the floor pan. Exspensive and labor intensive area to repair and since they are unibody cars this is a structural area. Even when rust free, some still install frame connectors to stiffen the chassis for high horsepower and/or drag racing. Even if floors are rusted, repair panels are available and are considerably "easier" to fix than rocker panels imho.
    '69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg