Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Square tube driveline
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square tube driveline

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

Square tube driveline

Finally got around to building my new driveline after my shackle reversal. I used 2 1/2x2 1/2 receiver tube for the outside and 2" tube for the inside. I cut a couple of chunks of the inner tube and then ground down the yoke to center the one yoke for the outer part then welded that in. The other yoke I just shimmed it to center and then welded it to the smaller tube. I was lucky that I didn't have to do much grinding or shimming to get everything centered. I welded a bunch of spots on the inner tube then ground them to get a more snug fit. I hope I won't get much noise from it now. If it gets loose I can always put a few more spot welds on again. I can't wait to try it out!

The pics show the yokes off by 90 degrees, I'll just pull it apart and put it in right.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Nice job I doubt you will ever twist that shaft!
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    make sure and let us know how it works and how bad she vibrates if you take her down the road with the front end locked in

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Where's the zerk to grease the 'slip joint'

And DO let us know how it works out!!
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    Lots of guys in my area use these on their bush rigs. A couple went so far as to weld on a short section of tube at either end so the shaft could be balanced. If seen some sketchy homemade jobs ruin a drivetrain but the balanced ones seem to work quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Where's the zerk to grease the 'slip joint'

And DO let us know how it works out!!
    I haven't decided if I want to grease it yet. I run in the sand some of the time and I'm thinking it would collect lots of sand since there's no way to keep it out. I rarely, if ever, like most CJ's, run 4 wheel drive on the street so balancing shouldn't be a problem. Almost all of my 4 wheelin is in low range crawlin around. It's when I hit the sand dunes is when I might get vibration as I like to fly off the top of the dunes! Check avatar. I'm hoping to get it together this weekend to try it, that's only if I can get the damn oil leak fixed.

I fixed the oil leak and installed the driveline and went for spin around town. I put the hubs in and cruised around at 40-45 and I didn't get any vibration, I couldn't even tell it was there! So far so good. Next weekend I have a Jeep sand rally so that should give it a real test. Can't wait!

Did you notice how clean the oil pan is? NO DAMN LEAKS!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Needs a paint job. It's the wrong color....

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

It is a 360, I just decided to try and match the Jeep

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    Shouldn't your yokes be 90 degrees apart?