Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Square tube driveline - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Square tube driveline

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    No they call that put of phase and it will cause a lot of bad vibrations and other problems. the yokes on any driveshaft should be in line with each other or it will rattle apart.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I've had lots of discussions about where the yokes should be. I started off with them at 90 because that's where my buddies were on his Jeep. Then on some other boards I was persuaded to change them because others had more experinence, they said the same thing that at 90 degrees it will tear everything apart. The best part is that all I have to do is pull it apart and move it!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    As long as the crosses of the u-joint are in the same plane, it doesn't matter where the yoke sits (0-90-180-270). What would tear it apart would be one at a 45* angle to the other (or even more than maybe 5* different). The other factor for vibration would be if the output on the t-case and the pinion are at the same angle.

As the u-joint moves thru it's arc, the drive shaft actually changes speed. As long as the u-joints are phased correctly, and moving in the same plane, then both ends change speed evenly. If one end has to move farther, or the u-joints are out of phase, then the 2 ends are trying to move different speeds at different times, and they vibrate.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: Square tube driveline

Quote Originally Posted by northplainsdrifter
    Um... folks these ARE 90* out of phase Not in-phase like a regular drive shaft.

" “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Square driveshafts are for Toyotas.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I took it out and hammered on it all weekend with great results! I am really happy with my new driveline =D> espeicially since I only have about 60 bones in it! I ran hi-range most of the time with no problems, I could hear a little noise when I was going back and forth from camp to the dunes which was the slop between the two tubes. I think I will keep it dry, no grease, for the time being. I would think grease would eliminate the tink tink tink I hear but with no dust caps I'm afraid everything would stick inside, especially the sand.

Couple of shots from Sand Lake on the Oregon Coast.

P.S. I left all the Toyotas with round drivelines at the bottom of the dunes.