Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
BREAK IN OIL
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAK IN OIL

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

BREAK IN OIL

I know this has been talked about before. I am ready to fire up a new 401. I was going to use Rotella 15w/40 and a can of GM EOS. Will this give me the proper additives fro cam break in?
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    check out John deere.

They made a big stink about automotive oils changing to the CJ4 rating. They will not certify their engines to rune the new CJ4 oil due to the low Zinc content. so their 15/40 oil is CI-4 and they have a high Zinc Engine break in oil available over the counter. I'd Seriously take a look at a JD/PAPE supply house and get it from there. they know their stuff and are vested in prolonging the life of their old engines as much as the newer models. They have been toughting the risks of the new CJ4 oil and the risks that low zinc will pose to reman engines, cam break in and old engine life span.

GM reformulated the EOS ..... ditched the old high zinc formula last i heard and since then i have heard mixed results. I know my local machine shop isn't recommending it anymore and their advise was to find an old bottle or seek out something else all together

as far as Rotella T if it is the CI4 Rotella it's good stuff but all the new oils on the shelf have been causing problems for reman and existing Diesel engines. specifically with Cams going flat at break in or soon after and some are claiming that the older engines with regular oil samplings are starting to show higher metal in oil test results.

Alot of the diesel performance shops for the last 4-6 months have really been having some major problems with replacement cams going flat ect with and without the GM EOS. check out DTR, TDR and the diesel place for some of the discussions.

Id take a serious look at that JD break in oil and then at their 15/40 for regular changes. both are high quality products worth considering. That or if MC is still selling his AMC specific oil that 15/40 is better than any of the CJ-4 rated oils IMHO . 3 cams later

I am planning on doing my next 401 with just the JD brake in oil as per their spec, run it 100 hours drain it and put in their 15/40. i can get the break in oil by the case and then once thats done switch over to 15/40 CI-4 which i can get in the 30 gallon barrels and i dont have to worry about the zinc content for my cummins diesel nor for my amc motors
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

AMC OIL

MC IS YOUR OIL STILL AVAILABLE?

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I think Brad Penn has a high zinc break in oil. I am going to use Valvoline ZR1 after break in. Valvoline ZR1 racing oil has 1400 zinc and 1300 phos. You can get it in 10w30. Most racing oils don't have detergents in them, because oils are changed so much. I called Valvoline tech. They said the VR1 has detergents and is good for 3000 mile oil changes. Most autopart stores carry the VR1 20w50 (autismzone, advance, etc) for $3.89/quart. The only place I could find the 10w30 was Napa, and a small Mom and Pop auto part store in my town... $4.59/quart.

Quote Originally Posted by dwg86
    I think Brad Penn has a high zinc break in oil. I am going to use Valvoline ZR1 after break in. Valvoline ZR1 racing oil has 1400 zinc and 1300 phos. You can get it in 10w30. Most racing oils don't have detergents in them, because oils are changed so much. I called Valvoline tech. They said the VR1 has detergents and is good for 3000 mile oil changes. Most autopart stores carry the VR1 20w50 (autismzone, advance, etc) for $3.89/quart. The only place I could find the 10w30 was Napa, and a small Mom and Pop auto part store in my town... $4.59/quart.
    the local machine shop I go to here stocks 4 pallets of brad penn grade 1 oil all the time. says it's got all the old additives that the newer oil pulled out... other option is the oil additives.. but that's dicey.. you can order cases of brad penn oil online as well..
    74' CJ5: fiberglass tub, AMC 360, HEI, Edelbrock intake & 600CFM carb w/ offroad needle kit, T18a, D20, D44/D30 3.73's, 32" mud kings, 2" body lift, custom dash, painless harness, custom bumpers, Tabor9k winch blah blah..

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    X3 on the BradPenn oil. My 390 was broken in on the dyno using their sae30 breakin oil. Since then I have been running their 10w30.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

oil

Where can I find Brad Penn oil?

www.bradpennracing.com Search for dealers near you or call them for the nearest dealer.
    VOTEBUTTON

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    where can you get it online

You should be able to buy it directly from them.
    VOTEBUTTON