Thread: help np435 clutch problems

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

help np435 clutch problems

ok I have a amc 401 to np435 in a 88 yj it has a brand new clutch master in it and a retrofit slave cylinder from novak convertions all looks great but it shifts like crap it dosnt feel like it is engageing all the way there is no slack in the pushrod I even made it longer to see if that would work something is not right.

another problem sometimes it shifts ok now im going down the road and I open up the motor all is good untill I go to shift the dam thing lost pressure it wont shift untill I pump it a few times
    a buddie told me that mabe the headers were getting hot and boiling the clutch fluid in the tube im not sure mabe
    so I need any kind of help I can get

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Did you bleed it? iirc , the NP435 has a Slave cyl behind the throwout bearing. There should be a bleeder valve on it.

If your brake fluid was boiling, the clutch would disengage and not re-engage until the fluid cooled down. The fluid would have to be rediculously hot for this fluid expantion to happen.
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

hmmmm

ok im not sure if im reading u right u say there is a slave cylinder behind the throw out bearing do u meen like the ax15 if so I think u are wrong here is the np435 break down http://fordification.com/images/down...35-rebuild.pdf

now I have an external slave cylinder mounted to the amc bellhousing that I got from novak convertions it dose have a bleeder and I think they sold me a pice off sh** I did bleed it and ill do that again tomorow but im not to confident that is my problem

so

my brand new custom slave is sucking air for some reason I need a donar slave what do most guys run on the amc bellhousing