Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Howell vs. Affordable Fuel Injection for AMC V8
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howell vs. Affordable Fuel Injection for AMC V8

Howell vs. Affordable Fuel Injection for AMC V8

Am getting ready to swap a 360 in place of the 304 in my CJ-6, and desperately want it to be fuel injected. I had been thinking of going with the Howell, but have recently noticed the kit from Affordable Fuel Injection.

The Howell system has been around but the system from Affordable FI includes an HEI distributor that has both fuel and spark control. Now I know less than nothing about fuel systems, carbureted or fuel injected, so I don't really know what that means.

Here is what I want: Stock or slightly stronger than stock 360 that starts and idles all day every day and is not finicky given altitude changes (during hunting season we go from 5000 ft to 11000 ft at a moments notice). I figure with 360 ci on hand, I should have 350 - 400 lb.ft. of torque, and that should be plenty for a CJ-6. If I only end up with 250 hp, I'm ok with that. Start, idle, and run reliably/consistently are the priorities, with better than stock performance hopefully a by product.

EFI Options:

1) Howell TBI with DUI to compliment it (still no spark control, correct? And, do I need spark control?)

2) Affordable Fuel Injection TBI system with HEI

Additional questions:

1) I will likely be going the crate engine route. Any advice on a particular vendor?

2) Any recommendations on modifications to a stock long block - RV cam, Edelbrock heads, headers, etc.? Or should I just stick with a stock long block?

Any advice would be enormously helpful!!

Thank you!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I've had the Howell EFI system on my CJ for 8 years now. Except for a bad O2 sensor, it's been flawless. I did the install in a day, including adding the new 3/8" feed and 5/16" return lines Howell suggests, but doesn't require. Stock lines are 5/16" feed and 1/4" return.

If you talk to the guys at Howell, they can build a harness that is compatible with HEI and does spark control, since their system is based on a 1991-1995 GM TBI system. I run the system with a Mallory Unilite ignition (not controlled) that has been recurved to my engine, and it works well.

Howell will ask you some specifics about your engine if you go with them. Intake (single, dual plane), exhaust (headers, manifolds, single, dual), cam duration and lobe separation. So you'll need to know that before you order.

I haven't seen any reviews on the Affordable system, so I can't comment. You take your chances on quality with any rebuilt from a high output rebuilder. Your best bet is to find a quality core, and take it to a reputable local rebuilder. It will cost more, but you'll know what goes into it, and it will probably last longer and run better in the long run.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    I have had Howell on my stock 401 for over 2 years now. I also put a D.U.I distributer in at the same time. I have had no reliability issues. I live in Illinois and have had it in the mountains in Colorado with no issues. It idles great and it will get 12 miles to the gallon with 37 inch tires, 3.73 gears and a 727 running 70 on the interstate in a wrangler.

Only one complaint. It is very cold blooded. Always starts great but if you try to move it before it get some temperature in the motor it doesn't like it. Its great after about 5 minutes on a cold Illinois morning.

I can't say anything about Howell, but my experience with AFI was horrible. Long time to deliver, wrong harness, forgot part, long time to receive part, gave incorect wiring directions for said part, then wouldn't believe me when I said the directions were incorrect. I had to send the instructions back just to get them to acknowledge that they were incorrect. the bin on the chip made the Jeep run like a dog that couldn't get out of its own way.

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Thumbs up on Howell. Easy to install and great customer service. Engine runs awesome with it.

I have the Howell set up speced for my engine combo!Will let you know when its running!Very good customer service and attention to MY details!Mike
    cj7 360 roller motor 291c heads np435 dana300 4-1 plus northwest fab 2.72 black box, currie hi pinion 9 inch front and currie rock jock dana60 rear,38 inch tsls custom shackle reversal and a little bit of rust lol

Quote Originally Posted by cjmike67
    I have the Howell set up speced for my engine combo!Will let you know when its running!Very good customer service and attention to MY details!Mike
    Any updates?

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    my howell system had a idle surge. and the "tuned" chip fo r my motor was fairly disappointing power wise compared to the power of my old carburator. I became tired of sending chips back and forth plus some day i hope to add electronic spark control.

I recently spent a couple dollars with craig moates following the instructions on binderplanet. best money i ever spent, i was able to dial down the high idle problem i had. i was also able to tune out flat spots in the acceleration curve and i regained all of my lost power. the howell system was a great foundation to start with the moates burn 2 and upgrades to 28 pinn reprogramable chips made tuning and recording data a process that even the most ignorant of people could figure out.

consider that as an option i don't like relying on others who are 7-10 days worth of postage away to help me figure out my gremlin
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    my howell system had a idle surge. and the "tuned" chip fo r my motor was fairly disappointing power wise compared to the power of my old carburator. I became tired of sending chips back and forth plus some day i hope to add electronic spark control.

I recently spent a couple dollars with craig moates following the instructions on binderplanet. best money i ever spent, i was able to dial down the high idle problem i had. i was also able to tune out flat spots in the acceleration curve and i regained all of my lost power. the howell system was a great foundation to start with the moates burn 2 and upgrades to 28 pinn reprogramable chips made tuning and recording data a process that even the most ignorant of people could figure out.

consider that as an option i don't like relying on others who are 7-10 days worth of postage away to help me figure out my gremlin
    I understand that TBI setups are very sensitive to vacuum and vacuum leaks. By any chance is your cam fairly aggressive, or did you have any vacuum leaks? The reason I ask is because I haven't ordered my TBI setup yet, but I did have a custom cam ground that was "compatible" with a TBI setup. My engine should arrive in a few weeks, so I need to decide ASAP on which EFI setup I'm going to go with....

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    i could have gone bigger ont eh cam but the injectors are close to thier limits right now unless i up the fuel pressure and change the BPW in the fuel controls.

401 - 30 over
    Decked, align bored and balanced
    10/10 crank, resized rods, all ARP bolts
    Forged 9.1:1 pistons
    Lunati 58501
    Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
    Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/220
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .484/.507
    LSA/ICL: 112/108
    RPM Range: 1200-5500
    Cast 502 heads (Mild Port match) w/ roller tip rockers
    Edelbrock dual plane performer intake
    mildly ported exhaust manifolds
    670 TBI GM injection 85lb/hr injectors
    HEI distributor

On a chassis dyno rear wheel numbers it put down the 292 hp @ 4900 rpm 389 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm it had a similar 351 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm and carried numbers at and above 354 ft/lbs all the way to 4000 rpm. red line is 5500 rpm and it spins hard on the street to 4500-5000.
    As you can see the above are rearwheel numbers
    assuming 10-12% parasitic drivetrain loss it should be in that 320-330 hp 430-440 ft/lbs range. the shop that put it on the rollers called it out as 331 hp @ 4900 rpm 443 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm it had a similar 393 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm and carried the same 400 ft/lbs all the way to 4000 rpm. idles smooth at 500-525 rpm red line 5500 rpm spins hard to 4500-5000. I was pretty happy

i suspect the lower hp number had to do with fuel injection issue above 4500 rpm i suffer a minor fuel supplly issue. injectors are too small or fuel pump can't keep up. i knew i was right at the limits of things on the fuel system.

Any cam witha 112 lobe seperation and duration under 228 @.050 and idle vac over 12 seems to idle just fine. a friend of mine is running a 110 lobe seperation with 13inches of vaccum and the 4bbl tbi unit and seems to be idling jsut fine.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377