Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
STUDS!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STUDS!!!

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Nice... I'm cleaning the clutter from under the Waggy Hood... Initial preps for the 360/tranny/t-case swap...

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I'm still waiting for a T-18

Any word on the studs? And we have (I) have a new problem - and it beats the crap out of me how it happend.

Screwed the studs in with anti-seize about half-way then did the double nut stud insertion. Trying to get them out required a pipe wrench and 2 of us on a 2-foot cheater. Needless to say the one we did yesterday has totally f*cked up the threads in the hub. Haven't done the last one yet and am sorta afraid too. Are helicoils OK to use on a steering knuckle or am I buying a new one? Never had this happen before!
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    I'm still waiting for a T-18
    When do you want to meet up? You want the D20 with it right?

Any word on the studs?
    Old man said that his "reliable asst. placed the order"

And we have (I) have a new problem - and it beats the crap out of me how it happend.

Screwed the studs in with anti-seize about half-way then did the double nut stud insertion. Trying to get them out required a pipe wrench and 2 of us on a 2-foot cheater. Needless to say the one we did yesterday has totally f*cked up the threads in the hub. Haven't done the last one yet and am sorta afraid too. Are helicoils OK to use on a steering knuckle or am I buying a new one? Never had this happen before!
    Are you sure it was anti-seize? and not industrial strength loctite lol. That sucks man... Can you post a pic of the carnage...
    I'm not a fan of Helicraps... If you're looking for a quick fix that could be permanent I'd use KEENSERTS... these are WAY STRONGER than Helicraps are wont pull out when over torqued... Almost like subsafe (sorta) We (I) might be able to weld fill/drill and tap etc... (machine if needed)

Let me know.

Up-Date:
    Just got a call from the Hardware Store... they found (5) 9/16" 18 (4" long) Grade 8 bolts... they are $3.52 a pop...

Quote Originally Posted by fifesjeep
    Are you sure it was anti-seize? and not industrial strength loctite lol. That sucks man... Can you post a pic of the carnage...
    I'm not a fan of Helicraps... If you're looking for a quick fix that could be permanent I'd use KEENSERTS... these are WAY STRONGER than Helicraps are wont pull out when over torqued... Almost like subsafe (sorta) We (I) might be able to weld fill/drill and tap etc... (machine if needed)

Let me know.

Up-Date:
    Just got a call from the Hardware Store... they found (5) 9/16" 18 (4" long) Grade 8 bolts... they are $3.52 a pop...
    I'll get pics - it's just the last 2 or 3 threads on the STUD that are Jose'ed. You are talking STUDS right - not bolts??

I leave Sun for another month remember - get up here on Fri/Sat and I'll provide the beer.
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I'll get pics - You are talking STUDS right - not bolts??
    Well $h!t, don't I feel like a jack-ass... STUDS... totally over looked that one... (my bad!)...

I leave Sun for another month remember - get up here on Fri/Sat and I'll provide the beer.
    Send me your addy on the pm side (I know I have it someplace... chances are it's in the garage mixed with all of the AMC/Jeep/Chevy/Ford parts)...
    Will you be over at Bunker Hill this week? I'll most likely leave work around 10:00/10:30 tomorrow... Let me know, If you'll be around I'll toss the tranny/D20 in the back of the Excursion.

Quote Originally Posted by fifesjeep
    Will you be over at Bunker Hill this week? I'll most likely leave work around 10:00/10:30 tomorrow... Let me know, If you'll be around I'll toss the tranny/D20 in the back of the Excursion.
    As a matter of fact, I'll be there Wed after 0900 or so and some of Thurs. I have a ship check on CVN-75 that will eat most of that day. Fri wil probably be in NewNews Shipyard and hopefully home early on Fri.
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

MC - I don't have permissions in this forum to split this thread to 'Suspension'

The sad knuckle story ...
    Brand new Deadnbear knuckles
    [click images for larger view]

P-side assembled OK - still need to install the caliper.

D-side assembled OK and WARN sent me new o-rings for the hubs (free )

The damage ... #2 stud hole (from right) is ripped to shit!!!

Offending 4" stud (never to be used again) ... but I don't understand WHY? It threaded in with antisize about 1/2 way with my fingers. Then this sh!t happens when I go to pull it out? I was going to try the 3.4" studs I picked up ... now, I don't know if I want to pull that last stud out

The last 2 threads in the stud did the damage, and if I chip the debris out of the lands, the stud would be fine, but the knuckle is still f&ck#d!! ...

Will the Kenserts fix this with a great degree of safety? Or, am I bound to spend another $290 for a frigg unused knuckle?
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Check your PM... Or your email... $h!t, I can't remember which. (Felt like going Ol' School and had some PBR) Damn headaches
    In Newport News (around the corner from you) there's a kick-a$$ place that I truly love... MSC Industrial Supply... these guys are awesome and have almost everything on hand... if you can think of it, chances are they have it or can get it...
    Here is a link to the page... the one needed Should be at the top, click it and check it out... it's HD!
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000102801599
    Here is what it looks like with specs
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=67642742

Edit:
    Aanother thing about the Jergen inserts is that they have normal Keenserts and then they have the HD Keenserts... the second link shows the HD... both are strong but, the HD Keensert is a little thicker and I want to say you can have them heat treated as well... It's been a while... and I think the Pats Blue Ribbon gave me a splitting headache.. Nothing like cheap beer to start the day feeling like crap...

Mud,
    It was good finally meeting up with you... That T18/D20 combo should serve you well... If you need anything else let me know...
    I'll swing by in the morning before you roll-out and grab that Knuckle...

Rich

Yeah, a face to a name Hope your not too far into the dog house because of todays excursion.

Got the knuckle off and pressed out the ball joints to make it easier - still one stud there, I was afraid to pull it out Took a ride over to MSC before we met up and they are closed on Sat so if you have a source for them great!

Also to round out the day, got the boys truck inspected - had to change a licence plate light to 'pass inspection' (PITA on a mini-Blazer)!! Fed the cats, got the yard cut, weed-wacked and leaf blown, the bike washed and put away, and fixed the canvas in the portable garage. Oh yeah, filled my truck, the Jeep and the boys truck with gas, filled the bike a couple days ago (my 'good dad deed' for the day).

And that T-18 anin't light!! The way you slung it into the Jeep didn't think much about it till I went to get it out and put it away. SH!T that sumbitch is heavy (and leaks a little ) Scrubbed the back of the Jeep out before the man-child took it to work.

Anyway, see you tomorrow - I bail at noon for the airport.
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE