Thread: alignment specs 1976 cj5

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

alignment specs 1976 cj5

any one know what camber specs are on 1976 cj5 how much positive camber did these come with
    an amc was my first car and so will also be my last car/jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I just packed all my books for my move.

Camber is built into the axle when it's made. Camber is the amount that the top of the tire leans in or out. They do make tapered shims that go behind the spindle, but they're a PITA.

I think what you're looking for is caster, that's the amount the top ball joint is ahead or behind the lower ball joint. It's adjustable with shims between the spring and axle.

Most solid axle 4x4s like around 4 degrees positive caster, you can go as high as 6. I built around 5 degrees into my front 44, and haven't had any problems.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

camber looks excessive

looking at the front of my 76 cj5 dana 30 it looks like like its got an excessive amount of positive camber this would lead me to believe that handling might not be the best , which method would offer more adjustment the upper ball joint type or the spindle shim type? did dana engineer this much camber for a purpose ? my main concern is making the street handling the best it can be ! caster will be adjusted positive via wedge between axle and perch to help with keeping jeep from wandering off from a straight line . thanks for all words of wisdom!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Is the axle straight? Too much positive camber would kind of indicate that the housing is bent or the ball joints or wheel bearings are shot. Shims will only give you a degree or two, I've never tried the offset ball joints.

Camber on a solid axle 4x4 isn't a big deal. Caster and toe will be the 2 measurements that will make it go straight down the street.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

camber

if I was gonna guess I would say its 1.5 to 2 degrees positive I went through front diff gears bearings/wheel bearings seals ujoints I didnt replace balljoints as no wear/slop/binding noted thanks for the reply