Thread: AMC 304, power stearing CJ-7

AMC 304, power stearing CJ-7

I'm inquiring if anyone has or seen a CJ-7 with a 304 or 360. I am having an issue with the clearance of the power steering lines coming off the steering box and my radiator. Has anyone upgraded to braided stainless lines, and if so, would you happen to know what size fittings would go on the steering box?

I have a CJ7 with a 360 and experienced the same problem. A 2inch body lift was my fix. Now I have plenty of room to fit the hoses.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The last time I bought the high pressure hose, they had re-designed it to run outside the frame around the grille instead of under it. On mine, the low pressure tube is just a 90* bend that ends in front of the grille. I know the original was longer.

You might just get a new high pressure line, I want to say it was under $25. The low pressure side can be bent from fuel line tube (3/8", I think).

I wouldn't suggest making your own high pressure line out of braided unless you have a shop that can swedge the ends. The high pressure side is around 1500 PSI and will just blow a standard hose clamp off (even double clamps, ask how I know )

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the info