Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
shifter for a D20

Thread: shifter for a D20

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

shifter for a D20

I have a dana 20 transfer case mated to a T-18. Read somewhere that there is a shifter on the market that will allow you to shift 1/2 a notch "forward" of the 4-low position and disengage the front axle only. Does this ring a bell to any one?

My other choice is a twin stick which I would rather stay away from if possible.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: shifter for a D20

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaught
    I have a dana 20 transfer case mated to a T-18. Read somewhere that there is a shifter on the market that will allow you to shift 1/2 a notch "forward" of the 4-low position and disengage the front axle only. Does this ring a bell to any one?

My other choice is a twin stick which I would rather stay away from if possible.
    Why? Twin sticking is cool!
    2wd front or rear, 2WD Hi/Low, 4wd Hi/Low . . .
    There are kits out there, just Google what your looking for.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    +1 on the twin stick. Try it, You'll like it.

I've got my 300 twin sticked. It gives you 2 additional ranges over the single stick, 2WD low, and front wheel drive low. I use the 2WD low a lot on trails where 4WD isn't needed. With the hubs locked, a quick click of one stick, and you're in 4WD low even when moving.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    There is a little more to properly twin sticking a D20

Google for the shift rail modification. One of the shift rails require a minor modification or low range rear will like to pop into neutral under heavy load. (ask me how I know this )

Other wise yes, twin sticking is way cool.
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    you can have two wheel low with the stock shifter if it is sufficiently sloppy. Mine you just push the stick till you feel it pop out of 4L but not quite to neutral the rear will still be engaged and you have 2L

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    can't imagine that you're getting full engagement on the gears... could create stress fractures and ultimately broken gear teeth. I could be wrong, just thinking out a little.

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Full Dana 20 Manual

http://www.azbronco.com/dana20.htm

Pic of factory rail assembly

Pic of the D20 Shift Rail Mod

The grinding for the interlock pills is only required if you use the pills to keep you from shifting front low/rear high or vice versa.

If you leave the pills out, you can shift front and rear in opposite ranges for a redneck parking brake.

Most important is the long ramp on the rear shift rail. This needs to be built up with weld and then ground down to a nice U shape as seen opposite on the front shift rail. This prevents the t-case from walking out of rear low.
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    And be sure all the notches line up right or they won't fit together on final assembly.
    Don't ask Just trust me on this one. It'll save you from tearing the case back down to see WTF?!
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE