Bulltear Ad

Thread: Carb fires

Carb fires

I have been struggling getting my 360 running in my Javelin but finally got it fired today and broken in. My problem is that it won't idle now and when it stalls I can hear and smell gas running into the secondarys. I have a brand new Edelbrock Thunder Series 650 that unfortunately went through some bad backfires because I had the timing screwed up.

My question is; Have these backfires and subsequent fires (which I had to smother with a rag about 10 times today when I was trying to get it to idle) affected anything in my new carb? After all I went through and the money I spent to get this car running I am not against buying another carb. Or do I just need to check the float and/or get a fuel pressure regulator?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    check the needles to see if they are sealing properly then the floats and fuel pressure. Unless it burned for a while I cant see the carb body getting hot enough to cause problems. I would say your floats are off or your needle isnt sealing and letting extra fuel into the bowl

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Or the power valve. A back fire may have torn the rubber diaphragm.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    I don't think the Eddies have a power valve

I'd check the needle/seats and the floats... if you have too much pressure you might have to re-adjust the floats. Are you running a return line to the tank?... Also, insure the timing is correct using a timing light... it doesn't hurt to toss a vacuum ga. on for quick reference.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by fifesjeep
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    I don't think the Eddies have a power valve

I'd check the needle/seats and the floats... if you have too much pressure you might have to re-adjust the floats. Are you running a return line to the tank?... Also, insure the timing is correct using a timing light... it doesn't hurt to toss a vacuum ga. on for quick reference.
    He said it was an Eddelbrock? OH YEAH, I see that now
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE