Thread: AMC 401 Turbo

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey

AMC 401 Turbo

As far as I can tell, nobody out there makes Turbo Charger headers for my AMC 401. Can anyone help me? Because of the dogleg you can't just flip the manifolds over like a Chevy and I can't fing anything with a center dump colector. Thought about early manifolds and just switching side so they dump out the front. Ideas?

Strictly custom, unless maybe some boat manifolds would work.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    I found some aluminum boat manifolds that were for rect port heads but there's plenty of nice thick aluminum to grind into the dogleg pattern. They are water jacketed for cooling & would put the turbos just in front of the heads. Using a UR-11 w/o the upper plenum, a nice paperbox-looking upper could be easily fabbed to feed pressurized air into the engine. Direct port F.I. would be best for fuel mgmt. Comcast has had my website unusable or I'd link to pics here. They r working on it, I'll do that when possible. This set of boatey manifolds is only the second I've EVER seen in 30yrs. Thaz why I bought them!
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    I'd be interrested but this a total experimental project. That being said, price is an issue so how much and can you email me pics?