Thread: TIG welding

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

TIG welding

anyone have any useful tips for TIG welding aluminum? I just picked up a Lincoln 175 square wave machine. Im using 2% ceriated tunsten 3/32, #9 torch with 3/8 gas cup. I have a #17 on the way.
    Just looking for tips/advice. I can lay a decent bead but looking to get better

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    I cant remember what the setups were in the shop I used to work in. Welding stainless and aluminum was fun so much nicer than my old arc welder at home.
    The only advice I can offer is Practice Practice Practice!
    ...and the peasants danced

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Being a welder for 30+ years, I can say that a square wave machine is very nice but not sure that it will do you any good for aluminum which requires a high-frequeincy mode. Need to use a pure tungsten electrode, "balled" on the end.

There is a huge difference in penetration depending on the type of covering gas used, I believe that helium is the most common for aluminum welding, but would check with the supplier.

A #9 is small, a #17 is better. Welding alum. is nothing like welding mild steel. You need high-freq., which I believe is on larger 240-480v machines.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    This machine has continuous high frequency in AC mode. Its a 175 amp 230V machine. not huge but it should be able to handle most of the work I want to do. I have a Miller 251 Mig for anything else and arc welders for the real heavy stuff.