Thread: Ultra Seal U-joints

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

Ultra Seal U-joints

Anyone familiar with these? They claims to be twice as strong as "Spicer-style" U-joints. Distributed by Quality Gear (Canada). Could not find any U.S. retailers.

Claims include internal seal that extends life in mud, snow and underwater. Never have quite decided on the "greasab /non-greasable" thing.

I need to order front/rear and spare joints and also front drive line u-joints and spares. Do I just order spicers or these? Other options for a v-8 trail rig?
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I use nothing but Spicer greasable u-joints in the driveshafts. For me they last 3-4x as long as the auto store cheapies. I've also had great luck with the HD joints from Car Quest, these have CR-NI (chrome-nickle) cast into the cross. I use those in the non-greasable flavor in the front axle shafts.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Anyone want to weigh in on stock 1978 cj-7 front axle U-joint sizes? Don't know if I have 1310's or 1330's.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The driveshafts are definitely 1310's. I know the axles are bigger, but I'm not positive that they're 1330's.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    If you upgraded shafts you need a dana-44 size joint which is a spicer 297 or the newere 5-760 size if they are stock shafts you need a spicer 260x size joint. I would get in cap greasable for the axle shafts as they are stronger than the in-body fitting or get non-greasable

OK 1310's for the drive lines and I believe that 260's are stock for the front d-30 axle.

I did see that SPICER is offering a "LIFE" u-joint, but have not checked on the price yet.

I will get the cap-greasable 260's. I was suprised how trashed the old ones were. I think water was a major cause.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    careful with those with a lifetime warranty cause if you break the joint it usually trashes the shaft along with it and they usually only warranty the joint. I would rather buy the strongest joints possible and change them more frequently than have to buy a new shaft when I break one.