Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
DANA 30 AXLE UPGRADES - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DANA 30 AXLE UPGRADES

Upgraded shafts and joints make the hub the weak point, just like you'd want.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    4wheeler or JP magazine did a comparison a couple years ago. the alloy shafts and joints were at least 100% stronger if not more. It basically took the weakest point from the u-joint out to the easier to change lockout hub on all the axles or back to the driveshaft joint. I would rather have to change one of those than an axle shaft. I think they found the Mosers to be the strongest but i might not be remembering right

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Thanks. I'll keep diggin. I have some time before I have to go back in there. Just in case something unforseen happens, I like to know what my options are.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaught
    Thanks. I'll keep diggin. I have some time before I have to go back in there. Just in case something unforseen happens, I like to know what my options are.

everyone here has it right, changing a broken axle or axles negates the savings I used to buy 1-2 sets of stock 260x axle shafts every year from wrecking yards $100 a set. in three years running 33" tires i went through 5 sets and i wasnt beiung hard on stuff at idle with the ARB's locked in stuff would break whent he clutch was let out. Since spending the money on my wifes rig to upgrade to alloy USA shafts for $400 off pirate board a few years ago and installing CTM's we have broke one internal 19 spline hub in 3 years and 29 trips, thats with a 360 t18 d300 4:1's and arbs f&R on 4:10s and 33's. my cj is 401 equipt with a t18 d300 4:1 has 35" stickies and beadlocks a D44 front, ctms alloys and a scout 44 rear and the worst that has happended in the last 5 years is i roated one rear shaft pulling a dead bronco up cadilac hill on the rubicon. I dont even carry my spare shafts anymore on the trail. I grease and go for a whole season 10-12 trips rubicon, fordyce and barret lake Ca without issue (not including the trips to the high lakes and Moab). i have more problems with spring bushings and u joints on the drivelines than i do with axles. spend the money and enjoy your time on the trail or chinz out and spend the money three times over plus the agrivation trying to find the cheaper route. there is little room between A & Z and i think the parts producers skipped all the letters in between developing stronger options. Real question is how many times a year do you want to change your axle shafts?

Good luck sounds like you are on the right path unfortuantely there are no real affordable options it spicer for $30 then you jump to $150 a joint. The full circle u-joint clip is a definate upgrade that has some benefits. soon as i did the full circle clip i quit breaking u-joints and axle ears as often and moved to breaking the outer stub shaft. the alloys with spicer joints and full circl clips are a way to start just watch it, you break the spicer joint and those axle ears risk being wiped out so its one of those cross your finger type moments. My buddy did this on his bronco warn shafts and spicer joints 3 years on 36's with np435/d20 3.15:1 and a 302 but he doesnt wheel it much. one of these days he'll get ina bind and blow a joint and we can only hope that he doesnt take out the shafts. why he didnt buy good joints when he spent gobs of money everywhere else escapes me. but theres the most affordable route i've seen
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Sounds like your set up very close to the way I will be when completed. I think alloy axles will be first on my to-do list after completion of my tranny-trans-engine rebuild. I do not like surprises on the trail, and I am building my rig for dependability. I also know that once I start on the axle sets, I'll be into changing seals,bearings and diff's. Right now it would be great just to have my jeep running.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....