Thread: cj7 dash parts

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

cj7 dash parts

I am in the process of replacing any controls on my dash ('78 cj7) that dont work properly. Ran across a problem. Can not see how to remove the top switch (fan control), so I can replace the switch mech. behind the panel. Anyone care to give me some advice?

I was able to remove the faulty vent-pull cables, but some knobs are different. I will also have to remove the wiper switch to get to the elect switch behind the panel. The light switch looks like it may also be a chore.

I did remove the tach. as it is a 6 cyl., and I need an 8cyl. Any pros or cons to the different "stock" brands being sold?

I am going to replace the clock with a vacuum gauge. Has anyone else done this? I need to find a vacuum gauge that looks similar to stock and fits a 2 5/8 inch hole. Any suggestions?
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    For the fan switch, there's a small notch on the bottom rear edge of the knob. There's a small clip you catch with a thin flat blade screwdriver and pull forward to remove the knob. Then the bezel against the dash unscrews to release the switch.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks I'll take a closer look. Who woulda thunk!
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Finaly got the knob off. I was not as delicate as I could have been. Now I can see the PROPER way to remove that style knob.

Ordered a bunch of misc.dash parts. Things like dash lamps, fresh air cable, and a new tach. Also a fan switch and a wiper switch.

Good news is that AUTO METER caries a vacuum gauge the right size to install in the "old" clock hole. That hole measures approx. 2 5/8". The sales rep. at A/M said for only $20, I could send them my unit and they would replace the bezel with an old school chrome one that would match my other gauges. He was very helpful and the price seems very reasonable.

Now all I have to do is wait for the parts to show up.