Thread: Dual steering pumps on AMC block

Dual steering pumps on AMC block

Has anybody done this before?
    Has Bulltear, or anyone else for that mater, ever made a custom bracket so as to run dual steering pumps?
    Throwing it out there first before I ditch the AC compressor and try using that spot for another pump.

I have read how Dan58 wants to relocate his so whatever he does might be used for a dual setup as well?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Why dual pumps? The factory pumps can be modified to move a much larger volume of fluid at a greater pressure. Check out AGR, Howe, or PSC.

If you're running a hydraulic winch, you can get a hydraulic pump with a clutched pulley like an A/C pump. Probably easier and cheaper to fab up brackets for too.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Front and rear steer buggy with AMC motor.
    Found a Elliot on IFSJA that builds a set of brackets with which you can install a second pump under the main pump. Gona give it a try

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I have a second pump mounted simmilar to what Elliott's pics show, and mine was actually the insperation for Elliott to come up with his brackets. I run a fully hydro snow plow with mine, I think his brackets would actually work better than what I have fabbed up, but I think I would still have belt slippage... MC are you listening how about the serp with dual PS option?
    parting several FSJ'S

That was my main concern belt slipage with the main PS belt in the end turning two pumps. Does yours slip?
    I do have the option of running an electric pump from a snow plow application. But for Elliot's kit price I was willing to give it a try

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by mika01
    That was my main concern belt slipage with the main PS belt in the end turning two pumps. Does yours slip?
    I do have the option of running an electric pump from a snow plow application. But for Elliot's kit price I was willing to give it a try
    It used to be worse before I actually had FSJ pump in place. My plow was adapted from a factory dodge setup, that pump died, I put one on from another FSJ with pulley and put the back housing/tank on from the dodge pump. My brackets ended up with a piece of thread rod in one spot to keep everything tight. I really only get a little slippage now when things get wet, but I also run a locked fan clutch since I had over heating on the road with the blade on, and the alt is still in stock location so it slips some too. My long term plan is to go to the higher amp GM alt, use Bulltear's high mount kit for it, and go with an electric fan, going serp was just another thought to go with this, I think I would be good with just doing the upgrades to the alt and fan.
    parting several FSJ'S

Re: Dual steering pumps on AMC block

Quote Originally Posted by mika01

I have read how Dan58 wants to relocate his so whatever he does might be used for a dual setup as well?
    I bought Elliot's system.