Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 401 oil pressure drop

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    I thought I'd update my situation. I decided to bypass the dash meter after reviewing my setup. The wire from the sensor was cracked, making intermittent connection and I measure the resistance of the sensor which looked to be off quite a bit. It was reading 80 ohms across it when the engine was off and the wire disconnected, where I believe it should be 240 ohms. With that said, I shouldn't read low psi ever, but the open wire could cause it.

Therefore I decided to install a mechanical gauge, just to see what that said. After it warned up, it looked to have about 7 psi, in gear. It's low, but I think my motor won't spin a bearing. The pressure jumps right up with the rpm. I'm running Autozone 20W50 and a Fram filter. After reading a post elsewhere, I decided I'll probably change to an AC Delco filter and try another brand of oil, Castrol. I decided the filter might make a difference because the Fram is 18 micron vs the Delco at 25 micron and should offer less resistance, which will mean less pressure drop through the filter. I'm not sure about the oil, but I'll do one at a time to see the difference.

I also would like to do the first mod mentioned here:
    http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main...stem_mod_1.JPG

I'll try to remember to post my results. Good, bad or ugly.

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

timing cover

So the timing cover did nothing. Motor pulled and new bearings going in.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Be sure to check/change the cam bearings. I've seen probably 50% of the high mileage engines I've rebuilt with the coating flaking off the factory cam bearings. It has a bigger effect than rod/main bearings, since the AMC oil path oils the cam first. You might try Bulltear's bearings with the reduced size oil hole. I'm running a set of those in my AMX 390 with good results.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

X2. Absolutely change the cam bearings.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    BTW for what it's worth I had a old 304 years ago that ran 0-5lbs pressure at idle on a mechanical gauge years ago that ran for years.Never did blow that engine just retired it.
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Okay, I got my Delco filter and installed it. I'm not driving the car, so I can't tell how it's running under load at speed. I did get it good and hot. I really couldn't see a difference. It might have been 1 psi higher in gear, hot. I would say there was nearly no difference between the Fram and Delco filters in my engine. I'm not going to try a different brand (Castrol) of oil until it needs a change.