Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
new to site and have a few questions
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to site and have a few questions

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

new to site and have a few questions

ok so i have a 1971 amc javelin in drag trim with a amc 401 bord .30 over port and polished heads ( 51 cc) with mopar 440 valves harlen sharp roller rocks with girldel. the bottem end is stock minus the forged pistions ( stock style piston tho) shot peend rods and what not. it also has a external dual line oil pump along with under the intake oil mod and the dist gear oil mod. Cam is a comp cam custom grind with specs

292 in 292 ex duration
    596 in 596 ex lift
    110 lobe separation
    solid flat tappet

just so you kinda get a feel for my motor

so this last season i kept going threw cam and dist gears so bad that it wrecked my timing cover and oil pump gears. along with a couple rear bearings so will the bull tear cam and dist gear set fix that? and my car also had a cam walk plate should i be taking that out?

along thing i am kinda woundering about is how that bull tear alt bracket works dose anyone have a picture of it installed please?

I will post some pics up when i get home

thanks justin

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Welcome to Bulltear!

Were you replacing the cam/dizzy gears as a matched set? There are at least 3 different tooth pitches by different manufacturers. A mis-matched set won't last long.

Do you have the cover alignment dowels in the front of the block? They are very important for correct cover/gear alignment.

Are you running a high pressure spring in the oil pressure relief valve? Too much oil pressure puts a strain on the gears. Remember that the distributor drives the oil pump.

Is it a factory or aftermarket cover? Some of the aftermarket covers had machining tolerance problems. MC here at Bulltear checks each one before shipment.

Those are the questions I have, I'm sure others will chime in too.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    No they weren't a matched set and the first set I used last about 10 or so passes and the last set I used ( were the genuine amc brand) and they lasted 5 passes. I only take my motor to 7000 rpm.

I do have a factory amc cover with dowels in it and i did buy the engine as a whole and i think he has the high pressure spring in it

when is starts it has just over 80 psi and when its at full heat 40+psi at idle which is set at 1200 to 1500 rpm

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: new to site and have a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by amcjunky
    along thing i am kinda woundering about is how that bull tear alt bracket works dose anyone have a picture of it installed please?

thanks justin
    Hey Justin, welcome to Bulltear. For your ALT request, this is the only pic I can find of my ALT bracket on a 360 in an 85 CJ

<link>
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

hey mud rat thanks for the picture but how dose that top piece mount to the intake? do you have to drill a couple holes?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The Bulltear ALT bracket uses the 2 front intake manifold bolts. No holes to drill.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

cool i am probly going to have to buy that lol also i am uploading a picture and what i need to know is with this new timing cover pkg can i use this peice with it if i buy it

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=136

i am pretty sure this is what i am going to get just i have some seconds thoughts so i figured i would ask

thanks for the help

ok got the engine back from the machine shop got everything on its way. but i have a few last minute jitters since this will be my first engine i will be building from start to finish.

my engine had a cam walk kit in it ( NICK ALFANO'S CAM ANTI-WALK KIT) and i will be putting a regular timing chain back on not his machined one that came with the kit. my question is do i need this in there and i also ordered the matched gear set and a timing cover from bull tear will this gear chewing thing still happen?

sorry for the vagueness justin

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Well If your not running a roller cam or a milodon gear set you shouldnt need the anti walk kit but it cant hurt if it is letting oil get to the gear.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

well its a solid flat tappet cam with 596 lift and 262 at .50 and i bring the engine to 7000rpm