Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
I love big Govt progressives

Thread: I love big Govt progressives

I love big Govt progressives

SOCIAL SECURITY- History of it's Progress (??!)

Social Security

Your Social Security

Just in case some of you young whippersnappers (& some older ones) didn't know this. It's easy to check out, if you don't believe it. Be sure and show it to your kids. They need a little history lesson on what's what and it doesn't matter whether you are Democrat or Republican. Facts are Facts!!!

Our Social Security

Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social
    Security (FICA) Program. He promised:

1.) That participation in the Program would be
    Completely voluntary,

No longer Voluntary

2.) That the participants would only have to pay
    1% of the first $1,400 of their annual
    Incomes into the Program,

Now 7.65% on the first $90,000

3.) That the money the participants elected to put
    into the Program would be deductible from
    their income for tax purposes each year,

No longer tax deductible

4.) That the money the participants put into the
    independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the
    general operating fund, and therefore, would
    only be used to fund the Social Security
    Retirement Program, and no other
    Government program, and,

Under Johnson the money was moved to
    The General Fund and Spent

5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees
    would never be taxed as income.

Under Clinton & Gore

Up to 85% of your Social Security can be Taxed

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are
    now receiving a Social Security check every month --
    and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of
    the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put
    away' -- you may be interested in the following:

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

Q : Which Political Party took Social Security from the
    independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the
    general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically
    controlled House and Senate.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --

Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax
    deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?

A: The Democratic Party.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social
    Security annuities?

A: The Democratic Party, wit h Al Gore casting the
    'tie-breaking' deciding vote as President of the
    Senate, while he was Vice President of the US

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

Q: Which Political Party decided to start
    giving
    annuity payments to immigrants?

AND MY FAVORITE:

A: That's right!

Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.
    immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,
    began to receive Social Security payments! The
    Democratic Party gave these payments to them,
    even though they never paid a dime into it!

------------ -- ------------ --------- ----- ------------ --------- ---------

Then, after violating the original contract (FICA), the Democrats turn around and tell you that the Republicans want to take your Social Security away!

And the worst part about it is uninformed citizens believe it!

AND CONGRESS GIVES THEMSELVES 100% RETIREMENT FOR ONLY SERVING ONE TERM!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Yup the only way to survive in the USA is to make as much possible money as you can. Its a sad state of affairs that we put money ahead of liberty.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    That's been circulating the internet for about 5 years. It isn't 100% true. See the facts here:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/socia...ty/changes.asp

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I still don't trust SNOPES for any answers. And I don't trust the Government to take care of me when I retire in 10 years.

However, if you read that page, we pay Social Security taxes, means the government get's it's share up front. And we all know the SSA account is being used as part of the general fund (watch the news). It is common belief that SSA will be bankrupt soon because of this practice (who did it is a moot point, it's happening) - some say the next couple years, some say 2018 as the page suggests and the optimists think in the 2020's.

At any rate the G has been using the SSA as part of the general fund for so long with 'promises' of pay-back that some folks actually believe it will happen . I'm the pessimist looking at the current deficit of + $12Trillion (look at the whole enchilada, not just what ABC says - and that would be the All Barrack Channel).

Back to SSA – Think about the rules for a:
    - ROTH IRA, it’s after tax you’ve already paid the government to waste your tax dollars. This is your “discretionary funds” you invest for YOU because the government won’t take care of you (unless you think euthanasia fits that description). The principle paid in is tax exempt as are the profits returned from the investment. And they are looking at making changes to this, so get one NOW and get grandfathered for what you pay in and take out
    - In a traditional IRA, the principle is paid BEFORE taxes (to lower your tax basis) so the government doesn’t get so much of you're money up front to waste on somebody’s pork project like turkey ranches in South Dakota, or alligator research in Florida, or the famous ‘Bridge to nowhere’ in Alaska [that Palin shot down]. So now 85% every penny withdrawn at retirement is taxable. Which was not in the original bill/law.

The initial guarantee that SSA payment would have taxable limits is true. It was created to provide an income (not a life style, just an income) to American workers emphasis added . Looking at tax tables, when you retire your tax basis *should* be less so the level of taxation *should* be lower (unless you were really crafty and bought into some good stocks/bonds that provide a lifestyle, not just an income )

However, It is also true our ‘Elected Representatives’ have usurped that original SSA guarantee and more than doubled what you are taxed on withdrawal (33% is now 85%) thereby getting more of you're money twice – taxed when you earn it and taxed again (on 85%) when you withdraw it. So the average SSA payment is $2,413.30 before taxes (my last SSA stament said $1,850, guess working 40+ years [including 30 years Military] I'm still below average ).

Quick math:
    monthly $2,413.30
    annually $28,959.60

And according to the 2009 tax tables, you're in the 15% bracket. So:

your annual income @28,959.60
    @ 85% = $24,615.66 for taxable income
    @ 15% = $3,692.35 in taxes (and non-taxable income)
    Taxable income - taxes = $20,923.31
    add back the 15% Non-taxible income = $24,615.66

Why bother, $3.7 K is a drop in the bucket ?? Because the IRS gets paid to make you go through the Income Tax headache drill so they can employ all those *other governement* workers!!
    But $24.6K a year is an income, NOT a life style. Not a lot of Jeep parts, groceries, gas, rent/mortgague, etc. in that.

And I might make another note. Up until 1983 congress did not pay into SSA and *technically* they cannot draw social security at retirement. But how many of those old fools are still around (as in alive, not just in chambers)? LOTS!!!

It is also true that every Member of congress receive their last paychecks for life. So since 1983 how many have “retired” from “Public Service” that are getting $165,000 a year “Retirement”? too many to count.
    And this benefit will be applied to all the 'CZARS' that Obama has appointed as per 940.2 (E) of the SSA handbook. So there are another 35 people (or more?) that will receive $100,000 + a year for life!! And they bitch about taxing a $25K retirement income??
    So that means, a 1 term Senator now will get $165,000 a year (or more like Pelosi and others) for life. And will STILL receive $25K from SSA (if your *average* and my statement say's I'm not?). How is that fair or possible? They voted it in for themselves.

And if you want the math here, a straight $165K *retirement* is in the 35% bracket

monthly $13,750.00
    annually $165,000.00 taxable income (not using AGI [adjusted gross income], just straight numbers)
    @ 35% = $57,750.00 taxes
    But if you own anything you should be itemizing deductions and use AGI!!

So maybe Obama has it right? Each retired representative should be paying for 2 American workers retirement each year?? That would make 900 people happy
    Figure the odds of THAT happening and all these 'representatives' using the 1040 short form and no lawyers!! ...

You could also use the presidents salary

"The president earns a $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 non-taxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment.[16][17] The most recent raise in salary was approved by Congress and President Bill Clinton in 1999 and went into effect in 2001"

We live in a world of corrupt government – time to trash the present pile and elect some new ones – that have to pay into SSA and get only what SSA has to offer, not the life time bonus!
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE