Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
dizzy/ cam gear problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dizzy/ cam gear problem

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

dizzy/ cam gear problem

ok so i am going to post some pictures of the couple sets of cam and dizzy gear that got chewed up in my motor. I know that oilling was not the issue because i had between 40psi at idle and 80psi at high rpm and i had the little hole drill above my dizzy for extra oiling

so my question is what else could have caused this. if i order the matched cam gears and new timing cover from bulltear will that fix it? i use a msd dist ( the amc style one).

these two were a set both amc brand gears

and these two were a set the dizzy gear was msd and the other one cam with the motor

the first set lasty say 5 or 6 pass down the track and the second last 10 -15 can exactly remeber

i hope you guys can give me some help in figuing this out

thanks justin

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Several things.

Do you have the positioning dowels in place for the timing cover? They are critical for the proper alignment of the gears.

The dizzy gears drive the oil pump, too much pressure puts too much strain on the gears. My AMX ate a set with pressure similar to yours. I went back to a standard pressure relief spring when I replaced the gears and haven't had a problem since. Also make sure the relief plunger is in right (point forward), and it moves smoothly in the bore.

Gears. They MUST be a matched set. There are at least 3 different known tooth pitches used by different manufacturers. Different mismatched pitches = extreme wear. I think the MSD gear is a variant of a Chevy gear.

Make sure the oil slot in the upper cam gear is open. A lot were blocked by casting flash. This feeds oil from the front cam bearing thru to the inside of the dizzy gear. There's more than enough oil flow if this passage is open.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    yes both dowel pins are there and i never built this motor i bought it as a whole. i will check the relief plunger tonight

thanks justin

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Turn pump by hand with a screwdriver. Pump should turn easily. Also check relation to distributor to T cover when it is all the way down and in and make sure you dont have a gap on the distributor.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    Turn pump by hand with a screwdriver. Pump should turn easily. ... .
    Caveat that - should turn easily if NOT filled with notoil!!

Once the engine is all together and the system filled with oil, it takes a heck of a drill motor to keep turning the pump.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    I had same MSD dissy in a new rebuild and used the old cam gear. I ended up with the same results. Ordered a set of Bulltear gears and have not had a problem since! I did have the oil pressure spike and blow the oil filter gasket but I think the plunger got stuck with crap from the gears going bad. Anybody pull the pan and look at the mains & rods after chewing a set of gears??

Like the water pump!

While u have the MSD apart, pull the plate for the pick-up coil and put some epoxy on the screw on the back side. My coil/pick-up went bad and you have to pull the whole dissy apart because the screw comes in from the back side and u can't tighten it from the top. You'll see when you tear it apart. A real time saver later on....
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Turn pump by hand with a screwdriver. Pump should turn easily. ... .
    Caveat that - should turn easily if NOT filled with notoil!!

Once the engine is all together and the system filled with oil, it takes a heck of a drill motor to keep turning the pump.
    No, turning with a screwdriver will not prime the pump. Even after you prime it turning with a screwdriver should be easy. Priming eats 1/3hp drills for breakfast =D>
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

here at the last main and #8 connecting rod bearing

also i had a anti cam walk plate in there

would that have affected anything?

i am going to buy a new timing cover and gear set from bull tear when i get the money is there anything else i should be checking?

thanks for the help guys

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    No, turning with a screwdriver will not prime the pump. Even after you prime it turning with a screwdriver should be easy. Priming eats 1/3hp drills for breakfast =D>
    REALLY?? Once installed it takes a gorilla with a screwdriver or at least a 1/2 HP drill to spin the pump to get pressure???
    It’ll spin with a driver, but won’t bring the system to pressure. And I’m thinking I may need to find my BT Priming Tool when I get back since it will have been 3 months since running my engine.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I took apart my original dizzy and took the gear off and spin that with the drill to prime my pump. works really well as long as I dont push down which can drive the pump rotors into the housing and cause its own problems.