Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dizzy/ cam gear problem

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    This is what I did..pulled everything apart, washed everything and brushed all the passages replaced the cam bearings, checked cam & lifters replaced mains and rods. But I'm picky about a clean engine inside. Those bearings look toasted to me...my guess is the cam bearings are bad also as those get the oil first.
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

If the metal shavings are able to go through the engine via the oiling system, what is the point of an oil filter?

Cut the filter open and look inside...

My only point being is the filter should stop the metal shaving before being run through your engine, shouldn't it?

Filter could get plugged and bypass all the oil without filtering. Excessively high oil flow/pressure could bypass filter. Cold thick oil bypasses. Was this a new rebuild?

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    no i bought the motor three years ago....sat for 2yrs and then ran for maybe 20 pass total in the one year. in that one year it went threw 2 sets of dist and cam gears. all other bearing are fine except those 2 i showed you.

so if i check the dizzy to oil pump clearances get the matched set of gears and the new timing cover from here should that fix it?

also dose anyone know if i order the "AMC V8 oil pump kit " do they assemble that before they send it or do i have to assemble it.

thanks for the help justin

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    you may have a partially blocked oil galley. AMC motors oil the mains from the lifter galleys and cam. they are backwards of most others the oil flows to the cam first and then down to the crank and rods from the lifter galleys. The first bearings to suffer from oil starvation are the ones at the end of the line the 7 and 8 rod bearings and the last main bearing starve first from lack of pressure or blocked passages. High rpm's regularly will make the problem worse.