Thread: Started looking for a machine shop today

Helpfull BT forum member Captain

Started looking for a machine shop today

Hey there guys, so today I started looking for a machine shop in my area to do the machine work on my 401. My question to you is there any questions that I should be asking them before I take my engine to them to do the work? This is my first AMC build, I have built other engines before but want to make sure these guys know there AMC's after all its not a chev. I went to one shop and talked to the two guys that worked there and they seemed to have a bad attitude about the fact that I am getting info from a forum. Not sure how much I like that! I also want to get a idea from you on what I should expect to spend on my machine work so I know that I am not getting ripped off! I know that they work for there money but so do I. This flag was thrown when I asked them if they had a price sheet for there standard work that they do and they told me that they didn't, and to come back next week and they would give me a price. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Collin
    76 CJ7
    304 soon to be 401!!
    TH400 W/D20

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I had the 390 for my AMX done about 5 years ago. Machine work (bore .030", deck, balance, turn crank .010/.010", resize rods, hang rods, 3 angle valve job w/port polish, resurface heads, hot tank) ran about $1600. Parts (forged Ross pistons, rings, cam, lifters, bearings, stainless valves, gaskets, roller rockers, etc) ran about another $1500. I did all the assembly myself.

Costs can vary widely, depending on what work you have done, and what you do yourself.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the reply Bob, that sounds about what I was thinking I just want to make sure that I don't get ripped off. I plan on doing as much as I can myself. I might be just being over cautious, but I want this thing to stay together for more than a couple of dyno pulls.

Cheers,

Collin
    76 CJ7
    304 soon to be 401!!
    TH400 W/D20

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    The shops around me are getting about $80 a hole for a .030 bore. Ask about what is included with the 'basic' plan and what options you can get. Then KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS. If it sounds like your getting jerked - move on. Ask some of the local motor heads where they take or send their engines before the final decision.

We've got a place here that builds big block blowers for NASCAR, local ovals, short and strait track (they run thier own sling-shot on weekends) - they're spendy, but very picky and a small block rebuild from start to finish with all new parts is about $4500 (less you you provide the AMC parts).
    Sounds odd, but Apples by me has a menu for services from simple hot tank to crank turning/polishing, line bore, etc. You chose what you want - then ask for the discount to get it all done at once.
    - If they are going to assemble ask if they tank it again AFTER the machine work (not just a spritz and a blow job).
    - If your assembling, pressure wash the inside and outside when you get home if your doing the assembly.
    - If they are putting it together - ask for all the associated receipts for bushings, valves etc.
    - Get it in writing UP FRONT the warranty for the machining AND that only AMC parts are used. Some shops think Chebby stuff will work in an AMC motor because 'it's close'. Not so, and just means the shop is not fully aware of what an AMC is!!

We had one member here that went round and round with a shop for over 2 years (i think) about warranty BS over some low-grade parts they used which obviously damaged his engine.

Ask, then ask again. If your not satisfied - walk away for another day (and another shop).

'Rat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If you aren't signed up for these forums, do it. I know there are some AMC hotrodders from WA.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/forums.html

http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks again for the reply back Rat, and Bob.
    I am a member of the AMC forum, but not AMC cars .net I will look in to them.
    I think that you have a point there Rat that I have been feeling about that shop, move on!

Cheers!
    Collin
    76 CJ7
    304 soon to be 401!!
    TH400 W/D20