Bulltear Ad

Thread: 401 Heads

401 Heads

So I recently picked up a 78 Waggy with a 401 in it. I verified this by looking at the casting under the passenger side motor mount. My question is did AMC ever put 360 heads on the 401? I ask only casue I pulled the passenger valve cover off to find the number 323 1475-1 stamped on it, and according to the sticky 323 1475 is the head on a 360. Obviously I don't know the complete history of the motor, and neither does the guy I got it from. I am just curious more than anything. From what I have read the heads are a direct bolt on. Are these good heads to to use or should I try and find a set of stock 401. It will be ultimately transplanted into a 81 CJ-7.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I thought they used the same heads.

Well you would probably know more than I would. I just expected to see heads with a 401 casting number on them.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Yep.

The 360/401 heads are EXACTLY the same. Don't let anyone tell you differently. The 1475 casting was used starting in 1978, which I think was the last year the 401 was produced. At least you know what year it is.

AMC engines like to breathe, spend some $$ on a good valve job and some mild port work and those heads will be fine.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford