Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AMC 360 build for low-end torque - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMC 360 build for low-end torque

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Hello asleep at the wheel

I am currently running the lunati 64501 in my 401 9:1 motor it came out perfect with the performer manifold. dur @ .050 is 213/220 .484/.507 112 lsa i think they cut themselves short on a little on the lift numbers that is where i think engle shines. Engle and lunati share very similar cam timing events so either is in my opinion a good choice. I have run Engle cams in the past and their approach using high lift and short durations is spot on for great low end performance. I wish i had capitalized on a little more lift for my motor but I wanted a very conservative low idling motor on this build with no concerns about heat. the higher lift in my case would have made a few more ponies and a little more heat. i had the lunati cam here from a different build that had low miles and a spun cam bearing. so it only made $ and cents to run it. had i not had it i would have had engle grind me up something of the 214/ 220 @.050 variety with a .501/.524 112 lsa variety or i might have even stepped it up just a smidge more to 216/222 but that would have been splitting hairs. I ran the 54 in a stock 401 and had no trail idling ability issues, i loved the cam for a stock build and actually probably would have run it or something a touch bigger on my current build but cost was a factor this time. most of my 401s ive built love the 9:1-9.8:1 area and love 218-224 duration @.050 on 112 lsa's. but going a little shorter on the .050 duration #'s sure makes the idling down ability of the motor shine. with my TBI when setting the idle in diagnostic mode with the iac disconnected i can adjust things down to 300 rpm and it will sit there and do it for hours. with the iac hooked up my idle regularly sits at 500-525 smooth and rocks to life at the touch of the throttle. driving around town at 1000-1500 rpm is bartely a touch of the throttle. something to be said for a motor that doesnt surge or hickup when you ask it to keep running in the 250-350 rpm range.

With the higher compression you have listed i would look at an intake and exhaust .050 duration maybe something in the .210-.216 range. the 52/54 is pretty close and probably what i would run with a 9:1 or 9.5:1 amc360. like mc said there is something to be had with compression and a short duration cam. split patterns aren't always necessary for amcs as much as they are for fords etc our exhaust ports dont seem to be as constrained
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Bulltear forum member Cook

machine shop in houston, texas

I have my 360 dissambled now. Can someone give me a recommendation for a machine shop in or around houston, texas. I live nw of houston city limits in harris county.

I need general cleaning, check for cracks and boring if needed. I also want the heads cleaned, check for cracks, and reconditioned as necessary.

A shop familiar with amc engines is desired.

Thanks

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    You might not want to hear this, but...
    For what you are saying you want for this engine and the cam you want to use, your compression is probably too high unless you are OK with running only premium fuel.

I'm on my second 360 build with an Engle k52/k54 (5052/5054) grind with a 112*lsa, no advance on the intake, and 8.5:1 compression. Ive recommended it to several others including one 401 build that was at 8.75:1 compression. The 401 owner later went to the k54@110* and wished he stayed with the 52/54.

Both the k52 and k54 grinds are short duration/low compression grinds. They are best under 9:1 compression. I did a compression test a few months ago and was in the 140-145 psi range. I havnt dyno'd mine, but Ive had two different people "desktop" it and both came in around 350lb/ft under 3500rpm.

Heres the card from my latest grind...

As of last year, Engle is no longer in Santa Monica or owned by the Engle family. They sold to "SoCal Imports" who specializes in VW's. Ive run a bunch of Engle cams over the last 25 years and mostly in VW's. Growing up in Santa Monica I always enjoyed stopping by their shop, but I dont know if this new company is grinding in-house. I would have a talk with them before ordering and make sure that they are at least being done in a reputable shop locally rather than out of state, or country.
    Also, the new catalog is wrong in the CR recommendations, they have 9:1 listed for all the cams up to 298* duration. The old "Engle" catalog had the the k52 and k54 listed as under 9:1 compression, and the longer cams listed from 9.5 on up to about 11:1 for the longest durations.

Oh, mine idles fine. I have about 17in/hg at 700-750 rpm.
    k.
    you still think this is a great pick for the amc360 off road rig?