Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Interesting comparison of V8 intakes
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Interesting comparison of V8 intakes

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey

Interesting comparison of V8 intakes

I decided to do a quick comparison of the V8 intakes available (in my garage at the moment). If flipped them all up-side-down, resting the carb mounting surface on a 4x4.

Holley Street dominator is shortest ... 3/16" shorter than SP2-P.

Edelbrock SP2-P is shorter than the Airgap and Performer by ~ 3/4". FWIW ... this SP2-P has been port matched.

Airgap and Performer are identical in height.

Here are the pics.

OVERVIEW OF ALL INTAKES:

HOLLEY VS. SP2-P

SP2-P VS. AIRGAP

AIRGAP VS. PERFORMER
    Sincerely,
    GregTaylor :)
    Rochester Hills, MI
    1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2": Water/Hydrogen Injection Coming Soon ... 330" AMC stroker V8. 5" lift 31" BFG A/T's. Killer32 front bumper .. Oh, Yeah! and a FISH carburetor.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    why are the ports on the one so much smaller than all the others?

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq
    why are the ports on the one so much smaller than all the others?
    The small ports on the Holley are not a problem at all. I have run that intake on both a 360 and a 401 and it performed GREAT. The intake runners start out full size and taper down to being smaller at the heads, for great port velocity ... which creates great torque and MPGs. Flows to about 4,800 RPM.

My AMC buddy Rick Jones (SC/397) has that intake on a 9.5:1 built street 304 in his Javelin and it ROCKS ... runs like a built 5.0 Mustang (for comparison). Holley is great for the street, mild-performance and rock crawling.

*** NOTE *** I would run the Holley on my 304 stroker, but the smaller port location ends up MISSING the swirlport bump in my cylinder heads, so I am going to run the RPM Airgap.

The Eddy SP2-P also has smaller ports, as well as smaller runners (small all the way from the carb plenum). It's good to about 4,000 RPM. Again, great torque and MPGs ... just not performance-oriented at all. Perfect for street driving and rock-crawling.
    Sincerely,
    GregTaylor :)
    Rochester Hills, MI
    1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2": Water/Hydrogen Injection Coming Soon ... 330" AMC stroker V8. 5" lift 31" BFG A/T's. Killer32 front bumper .. Oh, Yeah! and a FISH carburetor.

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    KI'm at the OTHER end of the intake size spectrum. In my garage, I have: Edelbrocks all - R4B (Holley 4150), Torker (4150), extrusion ported Torker (4150), STR-11 Crossram 2x4 (Holley 4150s), UR-11 Tunnelram 2x4 (Holley 4500s), and LOTS of Holleys, from 660 to 1050 CFMs. When effing Comcast gets my website visible, I'll post pics & runner lens. PS: I use the 1-7/8" Hooker SuperComp headers w/3.5" collectors & 4" pipes, I'd use BIGGER if feasible! I likes to go FAST! I'd REALLY LIKE some of those Indy fully ported SR heads! €8•B Oh yeah, I like to shift around 7200 & redline @ 7500
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24