I`m rebuilding another 401 for my `72 cj5 and could use some advice. I`m trying to wring as much HP from this "Budget" build as possible, and I will be running "Premium", pump gas. I drive this thing everyday to work, and beat the crap out of it on weekends. My cj is running Dana `60s front and rear with 35 spline axles, 4.56 gears and 37" tires. Transmission and transfer case are a 6.42 T-18 mated to a Scout Dana 300 with 4:1 gears and 32 spline front/rear output shafts. Front and rear drive shafts are 1 ton 1350 series. The drivetrain is up to whatever we can come up with here.

This is what I currently HAVE, AND INTEND to use so far;

A `76 stock bore 401 thats ALREADY preped for assembly. The block has been tanked, checked for cracks, honed, and new freeze plugs installed. The crank has been cross drilled and turned 10/10. I did the valley bypass oil mod, and re-drilled the cam bearings with a smaller hole.

The pistons and rods are stock, and I ALREADY have new cast rings.
Should I polish the beams and at least weight match the assembly?

I plan on re-using some parts I have on the current 401 in my cj.

I will be running STOCK exhaust manifolds (I can`t stand headers), that dump into dual 2 1/4" pipes running through Flowmasters that exit at the rear bumper.
My ignition system consists of an MSD Pro-Billet dist. and 6-AL box.
I have a Performer intake with a Quadrajet that will also be re-used.
Yes, I have tried other carbs from Edelbrock and Holley. The Quadrajet beats them hands down off-raod, so I`ll be sticking with it.

For heads I have a choice between a set of 6291 or 090`s.

Whatever I use will get a three angle valve job and some exhaust porting. The heads will also get a set of Scorpion roller rockers.

Which heads should I use, and what kind of compression can I expect?

What would be a good choice for a cam?

I DO NOT give 2 $hits about gas milage, the outfit I work for buys my gas. I want some decent performace on, and off-road.
Any advice is appreciated.

What say ye?